What Camcorder for past 1000 yards

I am using a sony hdr-cx160 and has been a very good camera. 30 by optical, small light and good battery life. This video is a coyote at 1150 yards taken with that camera to give you an idea of image quality zoomed in that far. Make sure you set youtube for 1080P.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRXdbWn5Tw]00007 - YouTube[/ame]

Thats pretty darn clear!!!

I will look at one of those.

Thanks
Jeff

I was impressed myself for the price. Plus you can throw it in a coat pocket. Tried spotter plus camera on my Swarovski but it is far too heavy for any tripod I would wanna carry. Just the camera is so much simpler and more convenient.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what you guys are using to film at long distances? I am using a phone skope for my long range stuff but I was wondering what is out there for 300-500 dollars, or do you have to really step up to get good film quality?

You want optical zoom, the rest is really money.

So, a 4k Ultra HD camcorder with 60x optical zoom will be better than 1080p with 60 optical zoom, but probably 2+ times the cost

Further, with editing software, you can zoom in the software further when in 4k, diluting it to 1080p and getting even more zoom while maintaining Youtube quality video.

However, 4k video takes tremendous amounts of power, memory, speed, and money to mess with.

So, a 1080p camcorder with high optical zoom, is the "easy," cheap way out.

If you've got an updated/newer computer, if you don't mind spending money on additional memory devices, if you don't mind the higher cost SDHD cards the 4k video needs, and if you get decent editing software...

A 4k camcorder with high optical zoom can still be an easy way to go, as you learn, provides additional benefits that can up the quality and zoom even more, and stays with the times.

Of course, this is again, staying in the reality of this thread, you could always spend "new house" kind of money and have the best of all worlds...

If you guys are still looking for recording options at long range check out the Nikon P900. It has an optical zoom of 83x and can record 1080p or take 16 mp stills. I have tried one out in store and it was very impressive. Very lightweight for what you get and comes with image stabilization which helped hold it still enough to read tiny print on boxes from across a Best Buy. I would love to try one out in the mountains or at the range. below is a video showing what it can do.

YOUTUBE LINK

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.