What cal should i build?

Nothing you can't buy factory ammo for! I like the 280AI idea!
I'm busy and fire forming and all that wildcat stuff takes time I don't have.
Animals don't care if it's a 280 AI or the hottest new Thor's Hammer!
Dead is dead!

300 RUM on whitetail is technically Thor's hammer

No I think my 338 LM is better than a 300 RUM! I had a Savage Weather Warrior
in 300 RUM BUT now I don't! I hated it! A cheap stock with a crappy design
that kicked way more than my 338 LM does now!
My opinions are just that ..Mine ... Do what you think will work for You!

Last edited:
I'd order a ptg bolt (after trueing the action) with a m16 extractor in a mag bf and unlock pandora's box if it were me. Good luck.[/QUOTE said:
He will have to have the PTG bolt and the action in hand to give to the gunsmith, the PTG bolt will most likely be slightly shorter.

Your platform wont work for any Rum style cartridges, even if you get a mag. Boltface. The ramp and feed lips would have to be worked on too.
If you use the action you got go 280AI or sell the action and buy the appropriate one, you'll be money ahead.

Dinging steel at a thousand with a light enough rifle for typical hunting applications could mean that one discipline suffers, a good compromise is a #5 barrel contour from your favorite barrel maker or a carbon wrapped barrel to provide stiffness and reduced weight. I also am a big fan of the 280ai, 7mm bullets have more potential at longer ranges than 30 cal with better sectional density and higher bc, less wind drift etc. It's much more comfortable to shoot than the magnums with pretty close practical velocities. Squeezing the nth degree of velocity out of a round don't mean much if it ain't accurate enough at long range. If you choose the magnum route, I have a PTG bolt for sale that will work in a Rem LA. Fluted, big knob, Sako extractor.

6.5 creedmore...lol. Sorry couldn't help it.

Please, "6.5 Creed" I'm gonna throw up!!!;):rolleyes::rolleyes: It too is a good choice for a build, just had to add my two-cents worth on that one! Any of the 30-06 parent cartridges are good. I'm considered "ole school" so like the older cartridges. The .280 AI, the
6.5-06 A-Square is another cartridge that gets overlooked, 338-06 is a great caliber, not too certain about hitting steel at 1000 yards, but........? Presently I am having a .270 Ackley Improved being built. I wanted something fairly flat shooting and I wanted a wildcat cartridge. I probably would have gone with .270WSM, but had a long action donor. Good luck with whatever you choose to build, you have a great action to start with.

The amount of knowledge on here is why I ask and read the pages. Love it.
The mags are not really where I want to go. I had a 7RM 300WM. Not bad when I reloaded light for fun. But. I know the smaller newer rounds like the Sherman's and the 280ai and a few others get close to par with mags. I was looking at a mid to heavy weight barrel with some solid fluting and a good break or suppressor. I'm liking the benefits Sherman's are getting but off the shelf ammo in a pinch is nice. I do reload a significant amount tho.

Last edited:
I think you will be very happy with the 280AI in a 1/8tw, but any of the '06 wilds would serve you well: 6.5-06 or AI, 270AI, 280AI, 30-06AI or any of these in a Gibbs version for greater powder capacity. Since the Gibbs require more work and potential cost in reaming and dies, the more practical is to go with the AI's.

Check out the 6.5 Addiction. It's uses 6.5x55 brasss which lapua makes and can send a 140 at 3000fps. It has always seemed like a good choice for a standard boltface long action build.

Since you mentioned up to 500 yard hunting, and this sturdy creature named elk is on your list. Build something that can run 180 eldm at ~2800 or faster. 180 is the best bullet for pretty much everything you named. It simply has THE BEST ballistics up to 338 lapua (after that it is different ball game ballistically) for target practicing and ethically hunt elk. You need 2000 energy left to shoot thru shoulder, and 1200 on lung shot (according to Colorado parks and wildlife). Therefore at sea level 180eldm travelling at 2800, still has 2000 energy at 500 yards. 1200 energy left up to ~1000 yards. Nothing else can offer you that, no 6.5 etc. Case close, thread done.

The amount of knowledge on here is why I ask and read the pages. Love it.
The mags are not really where I want to go. I had a 7RM 300WM. Not bad when I reloaded light for fun. But. I know the smaller newer rounds like the Sherman's and the 280ai and a few others get close to par with mags. I was looking at a mid to heavy weight barrel with some solid fluting and a good break or suppressor. I'm liking the benefits Sherman's are getting but off the shelf ammo in a pinch is nice. I do reload a significant amount tho.
Check out Match Grade Machine for your Remage barrel
I went with a 26" #5 for my 7-300 WSM with spiral fluting, it weighs right at 3.5 lbs.
Total tack driver, and MGM was very reasonably priced.
You can send a few dummy rounds loaded with 180's seated properly, they'll custom throat it for free.
And if you send them your action they'll screw the pre fit barrel on and set the headspace for free as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts