What bipod for hunting???

I did a search and looks like all the posts on this are several years old.

So what bipod do you recommend for hunting? Also what hight do you find most useful?

Please don't say just use your pack.
Just go with Hatch, you will be very happy with it. And they are fantastic people! Best hunting Bipod I have used by far.
Thanks, Ceder

Another Spartan here.....works great, no noise, it's not there when you don't need it, it takes about 1 second to attach it and it weighs nearly nothing. I've got an adapter on every one of my rifles, so the bipod just lives in my pack and goes in my pocket when I start walking. What I like the most is that it ISN'T there most of the time......I know OP said don't just say 'use your pack' but that's what I end up doing a lot. There are so many ways to use your pack to build a rest that it just works in a lot of scenarios. That being said, when there's a perfect setup and the bipod comes into play, it's definitely when I feel most confident.

I'm looking at these Hatch rigs now, though! I wouldn't carry it on a backpack trip due to weight, but every trip isn't a backpack trip! It looks pretty cool and the sitting position shots would be great.

I have been using a 36" Trigger stick ($125) with a Spartan - Davros ball head ($75) for western hunting the past few years. I had shoulder surgery last year and drew for AZ Elk.
I carried the trigger stick in the left hand (repaired shoulder) and Tikka 308 in right. It made for a quick set up (3-5 second) and resulted in a 6x6 elk down. I highly recommend this set up.

I did a search and looks like all the posts on this are several years old.

So what bipod do you recommend for hunting? Also what hight do you find most useful?

Please don't say just use your pack.

I realize that you asked about bipods, and they do offer a greater degree of support /accuracy than good, stiff, lightweight shooting sticks.

The bipod negatives:

* Not all terrain is conducive to hunting with a bipod……good shooting sticks can easily provide 45" of elevation, clearing many obstacles!

* Not all shots will require a support, such as a quick shot in timber. The attached bipod changes the natural balance of the rifle, and can severely hinder offhand shooting.

* Stiff shooting sticks can serve as walking sticks, though a bit limited in their effectiveness. They can help you navigate through deadfall…..helping you maintain your balance. They can be very beneficial when traversing a snow covered rock/boulder field, using the sticks to find hidden holes between rocks…..rather than your ankle.

For extreme long range shots, they come in second place to a good bipod system……but, that may be their only second place finish to a bipod! memtb

Normally the closer to ground you can get, the more stable you will be. A bipod will be more stable than no bipod. A good bipod, attached properly, will be both quick and stable to a point, but may not be high enough. A tripod has a definite advantage in higher positions that are more stationary. Lately military snipers are using two tripods in tandem, one in the front and one in the rear where the situation permits. This is a very stable shooting technique. The longer the range, or the smaller the target, the more stability is required. A recommendation on bipod / tripod mounting and use of rests. Mounting the bipod / tripod farther forward reduces muzzle movement induced by you at the butt. In other words, you can move farther with less angular misalignment to add to your instability. Angular misalignment is far worse than instability by itself. If the target is 10" in diameter, an aligned gun can move 5" in any direction from center and still hit the target with half of the bullet!

By the way, loading a bipod does work.
It helps control recoil so you can get back on target quicker. Just be consistent.
Free recoil works too, especially with low recoil weapons like the current PRS game guns.
Not so much with my 338 LM.

I can shoot fairly well off-hand, but I do much better with a rest. And better than that with a good rest. And best of all with a great rest! I have been trained to build shooting positions out of whatever is available on the spot, and to carry the necessary equipment for the mission with me. Usually this equipment is carried in a pack, which can be used as a rest if and when it is necessary.

If you are spending all the money most of us do on your rifle, ammunition, and hunting trips, get great rests that work for your application!

I don't want to offend anyone, and not saying they can't be made to work, but most rifles today cost a lot of money, much more than ever before. With the great bipods we have to choose from, don't put a spring loaded rat trap on your favorite long range rifle!

Just my thoughts!

I had Harris bipods on all of my rifles and my pistol. On one hunt, I was shooting across a canyon, and had to up the bipod on top of my boots to get the elevation I needed. On another hunt, I had to use a log to get the bipod up high enough to shoot steeply up hill. My buddy with sticks had no issue with either position. I switched to sticks. If I'm in a place where prone shooting is a possibility, my pack works fine for a rest.

The spring on the Harris bipod cost me a deer, when it didn't latch and snapped back when I let go.

I've got Sparten adapters on all my rifles and run the long version bipod. I really like it. Also carry trekking poles and use the Wiser adapter to make shooting sticks for sitting shots. It has worked out really good for me as well.

I've been using and very pleased with the Bog Pod Deathgrip for the last few years. It's been out in the super cold, -20 F to 60-70 degree days and it's never given me an issue. I did however just miss a cold bore 500 yard shot challenge using it but that's solely on me lol!!! Anyways, it's a 3 position, sitting, kneeling or standing and not hard to setup at all. Comes with a bubble level as well. Best of luck to you and happy hunting!