What are the easiest mistakes you learned the most from when reloading?

1 - no distractions at the bench people or otherwise
2 - one powder, one primer and one caliber on a time on the bench at any given time.
3 - Write up you reloading procedure accounting for every single task you make to load a round and print it post it next to bench as a ongoing reminder especially if you have periods of time between loading. Build consistent reloading process.
4 - check your scale constantly with calibration weights to insure good consistent weights.
5 - Manuals are there to prevent you from harming yourself. The loads are MAX and are not lawyer loads. Use a manual for load data and not something you took off the internet unless you have the confidence and knowledge to work a load up on your own.
6 - NEVER start a any MAX load under any conditions whatsoever. ALWAYS work your loads up for your rifle gradually. Different powders, brass, primers and bullets (even different lots) can cause instant pressure problems.
7 - Stay off the lands with your loads until you have the equipment to measure accurately and the knowledge to understand pressure.
8 - A stiff bolt is not the only pressure sign to be aware of and stop shooting immediately until you have resolved the pressure signs.
9 - Temperature has a huge impact on load pressure so a load that is fine in January may be serious pressure problem in July.
10 - record every single load you make. Use a marking system to differentiate the loads in each lot that you are testing. I've used different color Sharpies on the primers or bullets to color code each load step. One of the positive aspects of tracking loads is you know the barrel count as well.
11 - get a really good bullet puller. You will make mistakes and will want to save the load as much as possible. I have saved a lot of components with RCBS puller.
12 - 2x on the floor mat. It also traps dropped primers etc and keeps them from rolling around.
13 - I was over sizing my brass for quite a while until I bought the tools to show me how to properly headspace my brass. I wasted a lot of brass!
14 - I switched from measuring the COAL to the tip of the bullet to measuring the ogive OAL when I bought the headspace tools years ago and they really teach a lot more about consistent reloading.

Reloading is like a really good pie recipe. You have to use good components, measure accurately, and have a reloading recipe that has repeatable accuracy. You really have to track and record your data so when you look back at a load, you can legitimately decipher what you did and can repeat it. Just like the pie, why did it taste so good?

I have more mistakes that I've made over 40+ years of reloading to share but I've done enough scare even myself.;)
Muddy

As well as others input some really sound advice here!

As well as writing my LD down & also write the results & take pictures of the groups for future reference.
Having a well thought out routine/process saves time & mistakes & potential harm.

Some people have mentioned they have occasionally missed not putting a powder charge in a case, I think most of us have but it shouldn't happen if you do a visual check with a light, I now try to fill a whole loading block before I start seating & do a visual on the whole block before I start seating, checking for any missed or double charges.
Also on the processes like case prep it totally depends on what you are trying to achieve in accuracy but consistency will always give you better groups & accuracy, if your hunting only you can maybe skip a couple like primer pocket uniforming or even cleaning your brass after each reloading, I am anal about my end product whether for hunting or long distance shooting so I reload for all my rifles the same method every time which includes ultrasonic cleaning, primer pocket uniform, case mouth chamfer & de bur, neck size, I only generally de bur the primer hole once at the 1st reloading

Know your dies & know how to use them, you need to make up your mind if you are going to FL size every time or NK size, I prefer to work my brass less so do the later, but you need to have the equipment to check all these things like headspace gauges & comparators etc.
Another process you need to think about is annealing, my brass get one after about 4 reloads to reduce the instance of splitting cases & also to get consistent neck tension.

Proj seating depth makes a huge difference in making a load average or outstanding so this comes down to forming a process in your testing.

May have been mentioned but do not drink alcohol or take any drugs before reloading, even prescription drugs that will affect your ability to pick up your own mistakes.

Good luck mate

Adrian from the land of Oz.

Write everything down.
Even in the loads you have made.
Life and work sometimes gets in the way and you forget what you loaded and for what.
Cuz you will find them weeks or months later, you will try to recall what it was & for.

Putting the info on the Brass with a sharpie is a big plus.
Also Label you boxes of reloads with Primer, Powder (type and quantity) and bullet (make weight). Keep only 1 powder on the workbench and use Match or Bench quality primers (It really makes a difference under 1/2" @ 100yds with my 300 sporting Rifle.)

This probably has been mentioned: but never forget to lube cases before resizing and if using oneshot, shake before you spray or it may not adequately lube if the can is nearing empty.

Most of all have fun, I try to look at each loaded round as this may be one that makes my next longest shot.

All very good advice. I will say that, at some point in your time of reloading, you will be unloading or rereloading. You can learn alot since your just loading for one rifle rather than multiple. It's easy to get overwhelmed with several, being short on time and rushing to get 1000s of rounds loaded. Take your time! Focus on the correct process itself first. My biggest mistake involved fireforming cases using cast bullet data. Anybody care to calculate how many 15gr charges of Unique will fit in a 280 Rem case under a 168gr Berger VLD? Spend $25 on an RCBS puller and 6.5 collet now. Good luck to you, you'll really enjoy your new hobby.

View attachment 117197 New to the sport and reloading. Currently working on building up my reloading bench with all the goodies needed to work. What are some do's and dont's y'all have learned over the years that you like to pass on? Currently reloading for my Bergara B14 HMR chambered in 6.5CM.
Keep detailed records for each rifle and calibers. And I mean detailed.....

All very good advice. I will say that, at some point in your time of reloading, you will be unloading or rereloading. You can learn alot since your just loading for one rifle rather than multiple. It's easy to get overwhelmed with several, being short on time and rushing to get 1000s of rounds loaded. Take your time! Focus on the correct process itself first. My biggest mistake involved fireforming cases using cast bullet data. Anybody care to calculate how many 15gr charges of Unique will fit in a 280 Rem case under a 168gr Berger VLD? Spend $25 on an RCBS puller and 6.5 collet now. Good luck to you, you'll really enjoy your new hobby.

I was waiting to hear this. Slow down... Not that big of a hurry...

I like to use a balance beam scale so I can set it and there is less chance of over/ under charging a case. I use my electronic scale to double check my balance beam scale.

Someone said always start at minimum powder charge.... which minimum? What's minimum in one Manual is maximum in another so you can only take that advice to a certain point. I have doezens of manuals plus data that manufacturers put online. I establish the maximum of all the data I can find with that bullet weight and then decide from there how much I want to reduce my charge and then I normally work up from there to see where the maximum is with the equipment and ingredients I am using.

Loading a bunch of rounds only to realize the shoulder isnt pushed back all the way, or forgetting to check the length of the brass

At some point I had the answer before asking the question , for example I thought would load bullet X with powder Y and get perfect results . Turns out I got less than optimal performance . Load development takes time . Part of the journey is allowing your firearm to let you know what it likes . Not dictating that ,if I buy this premium bullet , the best brass , match grade primer shove it full of wiz bang powder . Then blame the gun when it didn't like the combo. . . Small batches at first . . . Lots of great comments on what to do as well as what not to in this thread .

Just a few to add:
1) ONLY ONE CAN OF POWDER on the bench at a time. Loading 50 or 100 and then realizing you 'might' have put the wrong powder in can really suck gravy train.
2) Write down EVERYTHING about the load - Lot #'s of powder, primer, bullets, cases and the load itself as well as the results (I like the idea of taking a picture of every group)
3) When in doubt, DON"T LOAD THE SHELLS. If you think they can go 'one more loading' trash them. A new rifle isn't cheap. Neither is a hospital visit.
4) From personal experience - if you have a fire and have smoke/water/heat/actual fire damage - trash everything and start over. It's a royal pain the backside but those primers or cases or bullets are a lot cheaper than the hospital bill or the new rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts