What are my Choices??

gcollins

Hi All,
I am making my first Bolt Action build! You really can't say you built AR's, most of the time you put them toghter.
Anyway, I have bought a Nice barrel chambered 260 Ackley Impoved, and the bad thing it is threaded for the 700 Rem. Action. I would love to buy one of those custom actions, Really I wished I was smart enough to build my own action!! I have a small Fox lathe and 2 small mills, I have no training, I just have allways used my hands to fix things. I have played with guns for 30 years. Sorry, back to the question: Am I STUCK with the 700 action?? I ask this because 99% of 700 action's need trued and my small lathe isn't big enough to hold a fixture to true the action. I have never and will never claim to be a Gun Smith or even a part of being a Gun Smith, I think very highley of you guys.
I would be great full for any and all help.
Greg

I know that the Springfield 1903A3 has 12 per inch, i don't know about the 700.
Greg

99% of all mass produced actions need trued not just the Rem. 700.

How big is your lathe? You don't necessarily need a huge fixture to true a action but you'd have to build some tooling to do it without a huge fixture. If the spindle hole is really small then you probably wouldn't be able to do a full truing job like recutting the threads and the lug recesses unless you got really creative with building tooling and used a steady rest.

BTW I have built a ton (well over 50) of Rem. 700 based rifles for myself without doing a full action truing, just lapping the lugs, and I've had some scary accurate guns. Some Rem. 700's are sub 1/2" right out of the box so to say 99% of them need truing to shoot well is wrong. Truing a action is done to help take all the possible variables out of the equation. IMO the barrel has as much or more to do with accuracy as anything.

Hi All,
I am making my first Bolt Action build! You really can't say you built AR's, most of the time you put them toghter.
Anyway, I have bought a Nice barrel chambered 260 Ackley Impoved, and the bad thing it is threaded for the 700 Rem. Action. I would love to buy one of those custom actions, Really I wished I was smart enough to build my own action!! I have a small Fox lathe and 2 small mills, I have no training, I just have allways used my hands to fix things. I have played with guns for 30 years. Sorry, back to the question: Am I STUCK with the 700 action?? I ask this because 99% of 700 action's need trued and my small lathe isn't big enough to hold a fixture to true the action. I have never and will never claim to be a Gun Smith or even a part of being a Gun Smith, I think very highley of you guys.
I would be great full for any and all help.
Greg

"All" actions need to be checked for true,ness no mater who makes then !!!!!

With that said you can assemble the action a barrel with fair results and sometimes great results.

But what I recomend is at minimum, take the barrel and a good used 700 REM SA to a smith and
have him assemble it with the parts you have and head space it. This may require a set back of
the barrel and touching the chamber with a 260 reamer to set head space.

This would be the minimum required to have a working rifle. If it is a factory barrel don't expect
great accuracy. if it is a custom barrel it may shoot well with minimum truing.

If your smith can/will true the action and install an after market recoil lug you should end up with
a good to great shooter.

There are no shortcuts to accuracy but you can put together a decent shooting rifle without some
of this work as Idaho said.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks Guys!
The barrel is a Lilija 260 Ackley Imp. 1-9 twist 24" long. I am stuck in the middle of a Rock and Real Hard Spot. I know that having it done will get me a lot better shooting rifle, but then I loose out on building it! Kinda like back in my youth I love Drag Racing, live and died for it, allways did everything my self, now my little brother has more talent in his little finger than I have total !!! He allways wanted to buy his Race cars?? I could never understand what inter feeling he got out of it??????
J.E. would you email me? Would like to disscuss in private, No offense to anyone on here.
Great bunch of Folks on here.
Greg
ps. I won't be back on the net untill tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.