what advantage is gained by spiral fluting of bolt

Weatherby this last year has brought out the markv with the spiral fluting on their bolt actions,and I was wondering to what advantage is there to be gained over their straight bolt. I thought that I would no doubt get the answer I was looking for on the gunsmithing section. I tried using the q search but nothing came up. If this has been covered before on here I apologize.ctw
Looks cool and saves a little weight.

I heard it was suppose to help bolt not freeze up to action.Probably have to be on polar bear hunt to test.I had friends with firing pin freeze and not shoot.The guy was looking at 3 6 pts in tough country,tried under arm,bulls left.That was a mark 5 action,he got rid of it and never used again.I hunted all same stuff as he with mine and only problem I had fell on rifle and bolt was locked shut,with saftey
That situation of the firing pin freezing up was most likely a result of moisture or lubricant freezing inside the bolt.

Worth the $50 to me :) I think we all spend more than we should in areas that don't show up on paper

Agreed!

Savage 111F 7MM RM LA bolt 1 before.JPG.jpeg

Savage 111F 7MM RM LA bolt 2 after.JPG.jpeg

As long as we stop giving up ground when it comes to our God given and constitutional rights

Amen to that!

Last edited:
I don't like fluted bolts because I can usually feel it clunking over the cartridges in the magazine. I attempted to get someone in the bolt fluting business to design a fluting pattern that would leave a smooth path above the magazine, they weren't interested. There is at least one custom action maker that does flute their bolts that way.

I know what you mean and personally don't do it on my rifles. But like everything else If it is done with some though, the effects can be minimized by the size and angle of the flutes, and adjusting the mag box and the follower. This is definitely an issue with the straight flutes.

If a person is not faced with the worst conditions more than occasionally, I don't recommend fluting personally.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

That situation of the firing pin freezing up was most likely a result of moisture or lubricant freezing inside the bolt.
My guess he was talking about the bolt freezing shut externally with snow etc getting jammed in and around the flutes and bolt raceways. I could see that happening easily in the big woods hunting we do up north.
Heck of a deal if you can't open the bolt to load the gun!

When Accuracy International designed the "Arctic Warfare" model for the Swedish military one of the improvements they made were longitudinal flutes on the bolt to reduce the chance of the bolt freezing up in the action.

I tell my wife when she asks "how much did that cost" I tell her, it's not cocaine and it's not hookers! Well worth the money. The flutes looks so great. When I see others at the range with a fluted barrel or bolt, I'm jealous.

Just when I was thinking to see if the custom action I've been looking at could be ordered with an unfluted bolt. I think they look awful.

I can see in an ultralight build wanting to take some weight out of the bolt where the mass isn't needed, and I can see how straight flutes *could* hang up on the top round in the magazine, but why not reach in there with a boring bar and take the weight out of the inside?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.