Spiral fluting a Remington 700 bolt

CPerkins

I saw a website awhile back where a gunsmith was fluting remington 700 bolts. It looked good, but how would that effect the strength of the action. It is a 300 win mag, but I plan on building a 338 rum or 338 edge using it eventually.

It doesn't affect the strength of the action of bolt as all the stress is applied to the lugs and not the bolt body.
as tor the link your looking for I'm not sure if its the one your looking for but click on the link in my signature box and let Nate take care of ya

I had this done on my custom lightweight .340wby. I had it done by htcustoms.com. Check em out. Rich does this all the time.

I had Kampfield custom spiral flute and anstall a Badger bolt knob on my bolt.Great work,and fast turnaround.

000_0136.jpg

Cody,
Here are some pictures of some of the fluting and oversized bolt knobs I have done. The picture with the single bolt is a new pattern I just finished writing a program for. I have also had Karl Campfeld helical flute some barrels for me as my CNC mill is not large enough for fluting barrels and he did a great job with quick turnaround time.

308nate

bf1.jpg

jjbolt.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.