Spiral fluting a Remington 700 bolt

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by CPerkins, Apr 2, 2007.

1. CPerkins

CPerkins Well-Known Member

I saw a website awhile back where a gunsmith was fluting remington 700 bolts. It looked good, but how would that effect the strength of the action. It is a 300 win mag, but I plan on building a 338 rum or 338 edge using it eventually.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

It doesn't affect the strength of the action of bolt as all the stress is applied to the lugs and not the bolt body.
    as tor the link your looking for I'm not sure if its the one your looking for but click on the link in my signature box and let Nate take care of ya

3. sharpshooter1

sharpshooter1 Well-Known Member

+1 for Mr. Dagley, I had him do the bolt on my savage..... looks pretty sweet!

4. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

I had this done on my custom lightweight .340wby. I had it done by htcustoms.com. Check em out. Rich does this all the time.

5. SHW

SHW Active Member

6. Jtomlinson

Jtomlinson Well-Known Member

You may also wish to look at the web site www.twistedbarrel.com they offer some interesting styles of fluting both to barrels and bolts

7. biggjake

biggjake Well-Known Member

I had Kampfield custom spiral flute and anstall a Badger bolt knob on my bolt.Great work,and fast turnaround.

[​IMG]

8. 308 nate

308 nate Well-Known Member

Cody,
    Here are some pictures of some of the fluting and oversized bolt knobs I have done. The picture with the single bolt is a new pattern I just finished writing a program for. I have also had Karl Campfeld helical flute some barrels for me as my CNC mill is not large enough for fluting barrels and he did a great job with quick turnaround time.

308nate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

nevermind, wrong thread...

Last edited: May 18, 2009