What 7MM would you recommend

Hammer is bringing out some custom loads. Their bullets perform for reloaders. The 145-150 class monos should be great in a 9.5 twist. With their loaded ammo, I would expect superior quality. Call Steve at Hammer.
BW:
How do you get in touch with Steve at Hammer? Help appreciated.

I take it you don't reload? If that so, it makes it harder to figure out which combination will works the best. The other is all the items are very hard to come by presently. One think you can do is resize any belted mag in 264, 300, and 338 win. mags a 7mm Rem Mag or the other way around.
MM:
I do reload my 6.5. I am brand new to the 7MM - I own 40 pcs of brass - all new factory loads. My approach in the 6.5 was to find the right factory round and then reload to it's best replacement. I realize that a box of 100 bullets is generally comparable with 20 rounds of factory. But if it is not the right round, it will not matter what powder, primer, crimp, etc. you use. Then you're stuck with 70 bullets you'll never use. Just saying.

My 7 is very similar to Your's . It shoots the hornady precision hunter in 162 grain very well !
yfan1967:
My 6.5 loves the 143gr hornady precision hunter. I would like to try the 162gr in the 7MM - but no one has any available - that I can find - or they're $99/box of 20. I hate the idea of spending $5/round on an experiment that does not need 20 rounds.

I have a new Savage High Country 110 in 7MM Rem Mag. With the current shortage of ammo, I really do not want to buy 8 or 9 different experimental rounds if I could keep from it - specially in today's high prices and limited availability.
The rifle has a 24" barrel and a 1:9.5 twist. What manufacturer, style, type, grain weight would you recommend? Any of you know of a website or resource that shows a chart from plugging in barrel length and twist rate to recommend a grain weight projectile?
Thanks in advance. Great group - and I know someone out there has an idea of what might work.

With today's market and "out of stock" options, you have some challenges. It would help if you stated what you intend to hunt, targets, woodchucks or dinosaurs? With that said if it were me I would be looking for ammunition where I could get my hands on at least three four plus boxes to zero out the rifle and have some ammunition in reserve for hunting. To recommend a particular weight/brand bullet, for me that's a difficult task to master. I have two rifles, built on the same actions, built by the same gunsmith, using the same reamers and headspace gauges, and neither of them shoot well with the same load data. At this time I do not believe the average rifle shooter can afford to be fussy, get what you can and hope it works for you. I do not know what presently is going on with the manufacturers, I haven't drank the "over demand, sale of 9 million guns, lack of production" Kool Aid and refuse to. We cannot purchase anything related to shooting "or" reloading. Yup 9 million guns were sold over the past year, and yup 9 million people needed ammo for those guns, however not all of those 9 million gun buyers had to have ammo, I know that I didn't. And 9 million of those gun purchasing people didn't need to purchase dies, or powder, or primers or reloading presses. I just paid $23 for am RCBS shell holder for 9mm; a $7 item.

Hit the savage shooters dot com site and look for 7mm in new 110's. You may get 3 or more that agree.
for under 450 yards, find the Amax or Fusion and you'll be fine.

Try a 168gr Berger classic hunter if you can find it. Should cover everything if it will shoot it well.

I second the 160 grain accubond and i found 4 boxes of Federal that I'm really hoping shoots well. I've got an elk hunt this year. Other than that, I start with Federal Fusion for just about every rifle I own. It's not ideal for that long range, but its cheap and accurate. I've shot it to 600 with my 270. Based on 7mm Rem Mag Fusion published specs, I think the 150 grain seems to make more sense than the 175, which was surprising. But yeah, check out that stability calculator. It was an interesting find.
Son and I use fusion 150 in 7 mags. I use fusions in 270 win. They're great

I wish you lived in or close to NJ as I would give you all my boxes of factory ammo as I dont have my 7mm RM anymore.

But I did like others said. Bought like 6 different loads of factory ammo and came across my sendero loved the heavy stuff..

Wishing you the best of luck. Also if you are in NJ all my boxes are yours no charge.

I wish you lived in or close to NJ as I would give you all my boxes of factory ammo as I dont have my 7mm RM anymore.

But I did like others said. Bought like 6 different loads of factory ammo and came across my sendero loved the heavy stuff..

Wishing you the best of luck. Also if you are in NJ all my boxes are yours no charge.
445supermag:
Thanks for the kind offer. Not planning on heading your way too soon - long commute from TX.

With today's market and "out of stock" options, you have some challenges. It would help if you stated what you intend to hunt, targets, woodchucks or dinosaurs? With that said if it were me I would be looking for ammunition where I could get my hands on at least three four plus boxes to zero out the rifle and have some ammunition in reserve for hunting. To recommend a particular weight/brand bullet, for me that's a difficult task to master. I have two rifles, built on the same actions, built by the same gunsmith, using the same reamers and headspace gauges, and neither of them shoot well with the same load data. At this time I do not believe the average rifle shooter can afford to be fussy, get what you can and hope it works for you. I do not know what presently is going on with the manufacturers, I haven't drank the "over demand, sale of 9 million guns, lack of production" Kool Aid and refuse to. We cannot purchase anything related to shooting "or" reloading. Yup 9 million guns were sold over the past year, and yup 9 million people needed ammo for those guns, however not all of those 9 million gun buyers had to have ammo, I know that I didn't. And 9 million of those gun purchasing people didn't need to purchase dies, or powder, or primers or reloading presses. I just paid $23 for am RCBS shell holder for 9mm; a $7 item.

Why are you shouting at us in bold?

I have a new Savage High Country 110 in 7MM Rem Mag. With the current shortage of ammo, I really do not want to buy 8 or 9 different experimental rounds if I could keep from it - specially in today's high prices and limited availability.
The rifle has a 24" barrel and a 1:9.5 twist. What manufacturer, style, type, grain weight would you recommend? Any of you know of a website or resource that shows a chart from plugging in barrel length and twist rate to recommend a grain weight projectile?
Thanks in advance. Great group - and I know someone out there has an idea of what might work.
I have a Browning MarkIII semi-auto in 7mm Remington and have found 160 grain Nosler Partitions to be extremely accurate. I've shot Barnes TSX in 150 grain and Hornady GMX 139 grain and they don't equal the NP accuracy.
I guess I have been doing it wrong the past 40 years by inky shooting 160gr.partions......I have never had need to try anything else.....or do I?
No you do not. My Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partitions shoot "lights out".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.