What 7MM would you recommend

dgpcpa

I have a new Savage High Country 110 in 7MM Rem Mag. With the current shortage of ammo, I really do not want to buy 8 or 9 different experimental rounds if I could keep from it - specially in today's high prices and limited availability.
The rifle has a 24" barrel and a 1:9.5 twist. What manufacturer, style, type, grain weight would you recommend? Any of you know of a website or resource that shows a chart from plugging in barrel length and twist rate to recommend a grain weight projectile?
Thanks in advance. Great group - and I know someone out there has an idea of what might work.

Unfortunately it isn't that easy, usually. Every barrel is different. I've seen two remington 5r rifles shoot two different factory loads completely different. One liked 168s the other liked 175s. Strangest stuff I'd seen at that point.

I'd say score a box or trade for a box or whatever means you can think of to try different types of ammo and let the gun tell you what it likes. There is no one size fits all, usually.

Unfortunately it isn't that easy, usually. Every barrel is different. I've seen two remington 5r rifles shoot two different factory loads completely different. One liked 168s the other liked 175s. Strangest stuff I'd seen at that point.

I'd say score a box or trade for a box or whatever means you can think of to try different types of ammo and let the gun tell you what it likes. There is no one size fits all, usually.
Sierracarlie338:
I agree with every point you make. I'm just trying to find a way around the current ammo crisis - shortage, price gouging, etc. I'll agree that now is not likely the best time to start a new rifle process - no ammo, high-priced ammo, etc. But I know many of you agree with me that with the current administration it could get hard to buy anything new when you're ready.

I have a new Savage High Country 110 in 7MM Rem Mag. With the current shortage of ammo, I really do not want to buy 8 or 9 different experimental rounds if I could keep from it - specially in today's high prices and limited availability.
The rifle has a 24" barrel and a 1:9.5 twist. What manufacturer, style, type, grain weight would you recommend? Any of you know of a website or resource that shows a chart from plugging in barrel length and twist rate to recommend a grain weight projectile?
Thanks in advance. Great group - and I know someone out there has an idea of what might work.
Superior ammunition could provide several choices for you if you have a particular bullet in mind.

I just bought a tikka T3X in 7mm Mag same barrel length same twist as your Savage. Haven't shot any ammo in it yet. That barrel length and twist should (from internet wisdom) be fine with anything from 130g bullets up to 175g bullets. However what I would do if I were you I'd start with what bullet you want to hunt with for your quarry of choice. This is more about bullet type/style and terminal performance than wieght. For example you could hunt deer with a 7mag in any bullet wieght that is not a match/fmj. for Elk/larger game you want a bullet that holds together but expands and penitrates. Generally you go with heavier bullets for larger game but inside 300y there won't be much difference between a 130g bullet and a 175g bullet(unless you try to shoot the elk at a sharp angle quartering away or all the way up through the butthole) copper bullets like Barnes and the Hornady GMX penetrate better for the same wieght or even lighter bullets but need to be driven fast to expand in deer or antelope. For example a 145g LRX from Barnes is like shooting a 160-170g traditional bullet (except partition)

A big part of this decision is deturmining the REALISTIC range that you will shoot game at. there's no reason to go through 10-15 boxes of ammo trying to get your rifle to like a heavy bullet when it shoots say the 139g LRX fine and you don't plan on shooting past 400y!

Bottom line I would watch videos online and try to find out what other people say a Savage 110 in 7mmmag likes and start there. In my experience what shoots good in one gun of the same make/model/year has a 1/2 chance of shooting good in another gun of the same make/ model/year. (But that's certainly not a guarantee) Just a place to start.

What do you want to do with this ammo? Long distance target? Elk, whitetail? I'm going through the exact same thing with my 7mmRM Savage and based in Bergers stability calculator (you should search the internet for this, it might be what you are looking for), 9.5 isnt ideal for a lot of the heavies on the market. I'd much prefer Savage used a 9 twist.

Last edited:
A range friend has your rifle make n caliber all he hunts with is Federal premium 165 Sierra boltails ,he doesn't reload but he gets his Bull elk almost every year,buy once fired brass and get someone to reload for you ,yeah I know easier said then done ,But way cheaper 😉

I agree with the 160gr Accubond, it covers everything you may want to hunt, but I would recommend the Winchester CT Accubond ammo, it has delivered very good accuracy across a few different rifles in our shop range...albeit it's only 50yrds long.

Cheers.

What do you want to do with this ammo? Long distance target? Elk, whitetail? I'm going through the exact same thing with my 7mmRM Savage and based in Bergers stability calculator (you should search the internet for this, it might be what you are looking for), 9.5 isnt ideal for a lot of the heavies on the market. I'd much prefer Savage used a 9 twist.
NDKing
I've been shooting my current 6.5 10BA Stealth both for hunting and long range plinking. I've slapped steel out to 1,131. I enjoy both. I'll use the 7MM for the same regimen.

Sierracarlie338:
I agree with every point you make. I'm just trying to find a way around the current ammo crisis - shortage, price gouging, etc. I'll agree that now is not likely the best time to start a new rifle process - no ammo, high-priced ammo, etc. But I know many of you agree with me that with the current administration it could get hard to buy anything new when you're ready.
Yes indeed it can absolutely be worse! Good luck on your new rifle. If it makes you feel any better Im about to take in a new rifle in a caliber that Ive never loaded before. This should be fun haha!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.