What’s the best steel for the range?

We bought a 4'x8' sheet a 10 or 15 years ago or more and got a buddy with a plasma cutter to cut it up for us. I think it was about 1000 bucks.

We went with 3/8" AR500. .338 Lapua didn't hurt it at 300 yards.

Its your money, but IMO 1/2" is way overkill, unless you happened to find a smoking deal on the 1/2".

Last edited:
This is what I was told by an AR500 steel target maker when I was target shopping.

AR500 steel is rated for < 3,000 fps at impact. The velocity is what's hard on the steel and causes the pitting. Pitting is to be expected when shooting those fast rounds at close ranges.

1/2" AR500 will fare no better with 22 Creedmoor and .243 rounds at close ranges. 1/2" is needed for the heavy rounds like .300 win mag and the like to keep the plates from warping around the bullet impacts. It will not resist pitting any more than the 3/8".

This is what I was told by an AR500 steel target maker when I was target shopping.

AR500 steel is rated for < 3,000 fps at impact. The velocity is what's hard on the steel and causes the pitting. Pitting is to be expected when shooting those fast rounds at close ranges.

1/2" AR500 will fare no better with 22 Creedmoor and .243 rounds at close ranges. 1/2" is needed for the heavy rounds like .300 win mag and the like to keep the plates from warping around the bullet impacts. It will not resist pitting any more than the 3/8".
Yep. We don't shoot them closer than 300 yards, and we don't shoot green tip at 'em, so they have held up very well. Even hitting it with .300 Win Mag.

I you shoot them closer, especially with 5.56, its really gonna ding 'em up, no matter the thickness.

It's only surface hardened, so once you start to ding it up bad the wear will accelerate.