What's the BEST Rangefinder? POLL

What is the BEST over-all rangefinder on the market today?

• Vectronix (any model)

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Swarovski 10x42 EL Bino

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B Bino

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Leica 1600B

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Leica 1200

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • G7 BR2

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Vortex 1000

• Leupold RX1200I TBR

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Leupold RX1000 TBR

• Bushnell 1 Mile

• Bushnell 1000

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nikon Monarch 1200

• Total voters

CB11WYO

What's the best rangefinder? This sure gets debated an awful lot. Sure, it's a multi-faceted question... ranging ability? bang for buck? ballistic software capabilities? It might be a long shot but I'll ask it this way...

What is the BEST rangefinder? After considering EVERYTHING (price, ranging ability, ballistic software, beam divergence, user interface, accuracy, magnification, unit size, compatibility with other instruments, need for other tools, etc...) PS- you don't have to vote for the one you personally own.

I want your vote for the absolute best rangefinder (in your opinion) currently on the market.

Looking for lots of participants...

I gotta go with the Leica 1600b for the best all-around rangefinder for the price. I can get consistent readings as far as I'm ever going to shoot.

If cost were not a factor I would upgrade to the G7 BR2...

I voted for the Geovid 10x42 HD-B...because its not only a good range finder but an excellent pair of binoculars...

I own the Leica 1600B, best I could afford...and it has the smallest beam of the affordable options...

Last edited:
I own the Leica 1600B, best I could afford...and it has the smallest beam of the affordable options...

The Leica is listed at 0.5 x 2.5 mrad beam divergence. I actually have never researched the G7 BR2 so I don't know what the beam divergence is... anybody know what it actually is?

I agree that the Leica's small divergence is a big reason why it consistently gives accurate yardage readings.

I believe the original model G7 was 2x4 mils.... The new model is 1.5x2.5, I think... I read that spec somewhere recently, but I'm not sure I'm remembering it right.

I have owned and hunted with a Vectronix, Leica, and a G7. These are all excellent rangefinders but I voted for the G7. I have developed a preference over the last few years for the G7 for my LR hunting which is generally under 1200 yards. While it may not have the smallest beam size, the larger beam when combined with the Trutargeting feature not only compensates for it's larger beam size but makes it less sensitive to movement and the necessity of a rock steady rest needed to avoid a bad range or the dreaded _ _ _. If you take the time to learn learn how to understand and use this feature, the beam size difference to the Leica and Terrapin becomes largely irrelevant. Add the G7's on-board angle, atmospherics, and programmable ballistic software that gives you an instant ballistic solution that matches my very trusted Terrapin, Kestral, BC combo, I think it's in a class of it's own. IMHO.

For flat out ranging, nothing will beat a vectronix. They are beasts! If true elr is you game this is your rangefinder. Where others priorities fall is what makes a particular unit it best for them. Bang for buck it's hard to recommend anything but a leica 1600. I've yet to use a g7br2, they sure are intriguing and tempting hopefully one day but I won't ever give up my terrapin for one

I voted for Leica 1600b since I believe it is the best for the money. Not lots of features but really compact and can measure fairly to distances that most people can not even shoot...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.