What’s the best steel for the range?

ddman

I'm working on setting up 1400 yard range and I'm wanting to do a 2' x 2' steel every 100 yards. I have access to a cnc plasma cutter table that will cut anything and is roughly 8'x10' so full plates are possible. Does anyone have a good source for plates of steel and know what steel I should get? Fast 22 cals with hammers to 338 cheytacs will be shot at them. I'm in Oklahoma so closer the better.

I would us ar400 or 500 3/8 to 1000 yards and mild steel after that
I find that mild steel inside 1000 is to soft and not as Audible and bullets do penetrate a bit. I'm picky also and like a clean target hahaha.

I have shot through mild steel with a 338am at over 1000, it needs to be ar500. If you are shooting that 338 under 1000, I'd recommend ar500 1/2" thick.
I was thinking 1/2" would be better for the big guns and the little laser beams we are all building for our dedicated thermal rigs. I just got some 69 gr Absolute hammers for my 22 creed thermal gun and I'm betting they are rough on steel also.

Lets see some pics when your done . I know a lot of us members would love a road trip to help test the strength of your steel !
It will be this spring before we are done with it. I just got a buddy convinced that we need to build it on his land.

IMG_0039.jpeg

Did someone say steel targets?

Definitely go 1/2" or thicker AR500. I'd probably bump it up to 5/8 for the close targets if you'll be shooting big guns like cheytacs at them.

As far as the supplier, check with whoever you/the owner of the plasma cutter usually uses. Anyone running a machine that big is going to know at least a few local suppliers who should be able to get it for you. Freight is going to be expensive if you can't get it locally.

Personally I'd think about smaller targets too. 24x24 is a huge target up close. I'd keep most of them in the 2-3 MOA range, and probably do a couple sizes at some of the closer targets.

Definitely go 1/2" or thicker AR500. I'd probably bump it up to 5/8 for the close targets if you'll be shooting big guns like cheytacs at them.

As far as the supplier, check with whoever you/the owner of the plasma cutter usually uses. Anyone running a machine that big is going to know at least a few local suppliers who should be able to get it for you. Freight is going to be expensive if you can't get it locally.

Personally I'd think about smaller targets too. 24x24 is a huge target up close. I'd keep most of them in the 2-3 MOA range, and probably do a couple sizes at some of the closer targets.
the thought behind the 24" squares was so we could get better at judging wind and spot our misses. Two 1/2" 4x8 sheets would give us 16 targets. I'm in NW Oklahoma the wind blows all the time from every direction. There will be other targets in different sizes at closer distances and a 0 range to sight / load development on paper at 1&200. If the price difference isn't too crazy I will go 5/8 on one sheet and 1/2 on the other.

Its 1" conduit from home depot. Comes in 10' lengths.
I just cut it to length and painted the pipe so I can see it easier way out there.