What’s happening to LRH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has gotten a lot more commercialized. Got tired of the popups, so searching for videos, which are the most interesting, or posts about my particular interests works better for me.

Most forums end up with the same old questions or subjects.

There are a LOT of users not aware of even the forum rules, they use the forum more to hear themselves talk than to give experienced bases advice or bring experience bases content. Just look at how many guys think it's a hoot have the rule 4 violation in their response. From the begining this forum has been different, we are guests at Lens place not at a bar with bouncer! You notice this is the least moderated forum out there, it's always been member monitored and the culture has made it flow rather well.
Now you can't be having a decent thread before some clown will bring up a Creedmore and then all the kids pile on.
This forum was cutting edge, when the Hide was still completely unaware of spin drift or the fact you can shoot a 308 beyond 800 members here were cold bore whackn game well beyond a grand and even pushing 2000 before another forum was even grasping basic ballistics! Now you mention shooting game at ranges that used to be average your guaranteed someone will complain about the possibility of an animal moving or some other aspects of long range hunting they don't have any idea how to manage!!!
Long range shooting and hunting is always being relearned, we are still trying to relearn lessons lost from the turn of the century, there was a large group of guys in the early 90's pushing ranges and their lessons are all but gone and are only recently being re learned with this new ELR game. I only hope this forum will become interested in the lessons that have been lost, the interest in actual learning the nuts and bolts of long range hunting isn't there as it once was, I think it'll return if enough guys hang in there!!

A trick for new comers or those of us that have seen previous threads is,,, capitaliz-ing the info your looking for, then add Lens long range hunting and shooting behind it...

Sometime it works since there are usually 2 to 7 related threads that might pop up...

Other sources I follow are Gun Nuts,,, 6mm BR / Accurate Shooter,,, this forum fore-sure,,, and my Lead (s) in F Class that live close by...

It would be foolish for me to not take in what they share freely,,, my good friend has a wall full of awards along with enough milling and lathes to build everything and anything...

There are 3 custom barrel makers and 7 gun smiths with in my 100 mile zone,,, deffinatly a plus...

A real benefit in the shooting and hunting activities is teaming up with those that live close by,,, sharing information between each other really improves the good times...

Even if its only once in a while,,, its hard to beat a real face to face bond that can fast track things...

I spend alot of time at our shooting range,,, it dosen't take long to pick out the folks with top notch shooting skills...

When the time is """right,""" introduced your self and ask informative questions,,, all of them will share the little tricks that we want to learn more about...

Fast tracking is a real bouns...

Cheers from the North

been here for a bit and watched this site get completely derailed off the tracks of Long Range Hunting and into the mini cartridge idiocy of late

apparently making a "tink" sound on steel at 1k somehow qualifies a cartridge as a long range killing phenom, forget ft lbs of energy required to dump animals where they stand

then the offended chime in that "their" version of long range is based on their ability or cartridge.. or lack of either

then Facebook appeared and most guys just hang out there nowadays, you may get up to 30 day bans (had 8 or 9 in 2018) for certain things but not permanent bans for arguing with a certain faction of people on here that can get you kicked

His game...bc he did one crappy mission in peace time, it's all of a sudden his game. Forums evolve to hopefully drown out cancer like that.

You can't be on snipers hide without someone pulling out a measuring tape.

I don't see anything "wrong" with LRH. I see a lot more talk about gear and sharing hunting stories then the two mixing. Len tries to keep it on track with his articles, but guys want to talk about what they want to talk about.
SPOT ON!

I am not one of the greats, and my longest shot to date many on this forum would probably laugh at. However, I read FAR more than I post. I am a dedicated archery hunter and have taken A LOT of big whitetails and Black bears with my bow. I find firearms, reloading, accuracy, long range shooting and equipment extremely interesting.

I post questions when I have them whether it is about bullets or whatever, as that is what a forum is about. In today's world I can buy long range equipment and shoot long range. However, to do it successfully takes knowledge and proper practice.

I would like to see more threads STARTED by accomplished shooters on this forum (to many to list and I don't want to miss one). This gives us "wannabes" goals and knowledge without them even knowing.

I love this place and read it as often as I possibly can.

I thank everyone on this forum that contributes respectful, honest and knowledge based information.

Have a great evening everyone! Happy shooting!

Steve
Well said BoomFlop!

We used to have STIFF conversations on here, well beyond what you see now BUT they were still respectful in both sides. What we see now is the current culture of if you don't agree with me your stupid and need shouted down or belittled.
I don't see that it matters who your arguing with that will get you in the cooler BUT how you go about it, like an adult you can have a stiff disagreement with going full brain dead and getting banned, it's attitude not that you disagree!!

Last edited:
We used to have STIFF conversations on here, well beyond what you see now BUT they were still respectful in both sides. What we see now is the current culture of if you don't agree with me your stupid and need shouted down or belittled.
I don't see that it matters who your arguing with that will get you in the cooler BUT how you go about it, like an adult you can have a stiff disagreement with going full brain dead and getting banned, it's attitude not that you disagree!!
Lol that polarization of ideas is human wide as social media and forums become more mainstream. Back when you might get into a scrap for spouting off people weren't so quick to lose it about an inane argument. IMO

It has changed, but I think for the better in many ways. In the beginning we had some heated debates. Sometimes they turned into personal attacks and got no where. Like many, I was involved in some of these an thought about getting off the site before it turned into one of those Other sites that this is common place. Again, Len intervened and kept'ed it civil.

To stay involved in something valuable, I had to learn not to be offended if someone attacked me and just let it go, after all It was their problem not mine and I just tried to get the message to the OP and not worry about the adversary. It is very easy to hide behind a key board and spew venom, but much harder to post your opinion without prejudice and try to offer your experience and opinion.

So yes, The website has changed and some of us have changed with it. Personally I think for the better in many ways and if someone does not think the topics are there, Post some new ones and keep it interesting. If everyone contributes, instead of just responding to others post, I think it will be more interesting for all. I for one will try to do more new post.

J E CUSTOM

This. This is probably one of the biggest things that convinced me to join this group. I have some good memories of a couple members having a significant difference of opinion and arguing back and forth for a couple days. I don't remember exactly who or what they were discussing, but they weren't throwing insults at eachother, and both of them were providing evidence for their position. That is exactly how it should be, and that allows the rest of us to more easily learn from those with more experience. I didn't see that on the other forums, aside from 6mm and accurate shooter that I don't read that often. If you aren't sure what I mean, pay attention to guys like bigngreen, JE Custom, Elkaholic, and others in that crowd; they model that type of discussion and it still happens, it just gets swamped by comments by less mature people at times.

I'm not a genius, but it seems to me there is more than one way to do anything, anything.
Disagreements are good . That means people are thinking for themselves. If we all agreed that there is only one way to skin a crocodile, that would mean there are a bunch of folks just falling in line instead of thinking critically about an easier way to skin a crocodile.
The problems arise when one or maybe both members think theirs is the only way to skin said croc. Then they have to forcefully push their technique on the other, because, well, that IS the only way so they have to set that other member straight.
I , for one, appreciate two KNOWLEDGEABLE people debating a subject because it give me a chance to think critically about a subject and gather a wealth of valuable information at the same time.
As long as everyone agrees there is more than one way to skin a crocodile , we could probably debate subjects without Len having to shut down the conversation.
Agreed?

I read far more than I post also. While I myself do not care to shoot at undisturbed game very far, I do practice with any hunting rifle out to 500 to even 700, just incase I have to finish a wounded animal. Past that, I shoot rocks with an M1 Garand and a tricked out M1A w/10x scope. I gave both those rifles to my Marine SIL, but we shoot some together. I like the information here on the LRH, and I admire you riflemen that can actually do it consistently. There are, and always will be "slob hunters" in every form of hunting. I don't really think any of those guys even take the time to read/learn anything, from anywhere. I have used Reloading Techniques learned from Benchrest Shooters , way back in the 70's, to LRH guys, since the 90s, even if I shoot the animal ( usually) way under 150yds, ha. I love handloading, but my time as a Minister has always ( over 30yrs now) been too limited to really get involved past a certain level of expertise. I have to add that my time in the Military of being in Artillery ( from being a gunbunny to doing everything in the Fire Direction Center,) I got pretty tired of wearing my Grey Matter down to the White Meat, I'd had enough of big slide rules and trigonometry (70s) when I got out. I still love the thrill of seeing a "tiny cluster" on the target, and hearing the steel out at 500! So, thanks to all for tolerating my Posts, inquiry's. Without being able to "live vicariously" in others hunts, I would be miserable! :) Rev Jim Knight

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.