Well Known Gunsmiths???

Attachments

• IMAG0058A.jpg
    IMAG0058A.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 92
Clay Spencer now is the best in my mind. A new and up comer is Steve Pratt with Elk Meadows Performance in Salt Lake, Utah. He does exceptional work and I guarantee his work. He recently built a hunting rifle with scope weighing 11 lbs and it shoots in the .1 all day long with Noslers and Sierra hunting bullets!
The most accurate 100 yardguns are the PPC and if you go to the Benchrest results none of them shoot in the .1's all day long. These are targets officially measured by scoring committees. They use custom bullets and dies and short barrels and are built to shoot extremely small. He said not Clay; but Steve of ELK MEADOWS built the gun. I never saw a hunting gun or match rifle that will do what he said. They might get lucky and shoot a 3 or 5 shot group that small once in a while. I agree with what Bounty Hunter said and if you go to 6BR and look at gunsmiths you will see some of the best in the country. Clay Spencer is good but so is Sid Goodling and Mark King. I use Mark and he has built more record breaking 1000 yard guns in the country. Whenever you go by match results they are officially measured targets and not some Keyboard typer. The OP asked about good gunsmiths and most people answered. Matt

The most accurate 100 yardguns are the PPC and if you go to the Benchrest results none of them shoot in the .1's all day long. These are targets officially measured by scoring committees. They use custom bullets and dies and short barrels and are built to shoot extremely small. He said not Clay; but Steve of ELK MEADOWS built the gun. I never saw a hunting gun or match rifle that will do what he said. They might get lucky and shoot a 3 or 5 shot group that small once in a while. I agree with what Bounty Hunter said and if you go to 6BR and look at gunsmiths you will see some of the best in the country. Clay Spencer is good but so is Sid Goodling and Mark King. I use Mark and he has built more record breaking 1000 yard guns in the country. Whenever you go by match results they are officially measured targets and not some Keyboard typer. The OP asked about good gunsmiths and most people answered. Matt

I respectfully agree!

Here's a list of Top Gunsmiths

I'm lucky to have access to 3 great gunsmith/gun builder IMHO all of which are within an hours drive from home. I'm 30 minutes away to Kirby Allen and Dave Young and 45 minutes to Joe Starnes.

Clay is awesome! He is downsizing and not doing as much anymore sadly. I live within an hour from clay and have a couple of his guns. Sid is another good one along with Gordy Gritter. There are alot of good gunsmiths around. If this is your first build I recommend a gunsmith you can drive to and talk to him and hopefully he will show you some work .Clay Spencer cut out about 5 years of wasted time by getting me started. Explain that it's your first build and they can often steer you In the right direction. This forum is full of great information but if your building your first gun to shoot whitetails at under 500 yds you may not need an edge or 338 lapua. Clay turned me away from a 22-250 or a .243. Instead I built a 14 twist 6mm br for varmints and I love it. So much I had him build me one in 8 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.