well it happened, luckily it worked out

Ridge Runner

well it happened, an unseen branch deflected the bullet, I saw the deer was hit hard but when he ran I felt uneasy with the gound he covered agter the shot.
quickley picked up the trail, he was bleeding good, after 300 yds he was completely bled out, 120 yds farther I found him, impact was I'm saing 12 right of POA, entrance hole was the size of a tennis ball.
The buck was quartering away, I held to break the offside shoulder, hit wastop of the ham took out the liver and clipped the lungs. wasn't a long shot by any means, 450 was the range, due to lack of open country this is a long shot for deer hunting in the timber, and shooting spots are limited, here's the view from behind the rifle, the narrow band of open timber at the top of the ridge is the window of opprotunity
100_0172.jpg

and the buck
100_0174.jpg

JS

Looks just like where I was sitting today including the distance. I had a little spike hang around all day but I was too lazy to shoot him.

Good job of finishing what you started and tracking him down.

Good job. Hope my luck comes around also.

I'm just north of you and only saw a few deer during week one of the PA deer season. Temps are WAY too warm. They dropped pretty good for week two so my hopes are lifted tremendously. Still wish we had snow for checking hits at LR...I hunt by myself and spotting hits is tough with the XP-100.

James,

The old unseen branch; been there, done that. I think it happens to everyone eventually, sometimes more than once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks a lot for the story & pics. Very nice looking buck, good job on the follow-up.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.