Weight of rifle

I have a couple of Custom rifle in the 11-11.5 lb range. A lot of times I carrs a Tikka 338 win with a 2.5-8x36mm scope because its so light. I also have an ultralight 338 rum build in the works

I have a couple of Custom rifle in the 11-11.5 lb range. A lot of times I carrs a Tikka 338 win with a 2.5-8x36mm scope because its so light. I also have an ultralight 338 rum build in the works

I have a 300wsm tikka that's just shy of 7 pounds with scope.
I also am thinking of having a an ultralightweight 338 rum built. Have the action and have the brass.. just haven't decided who to build it.
Who is building yours?

I have a 300wsm tikka that's just shy of 7 pounds with scope.
I also am thinking of having a an ultralightweight 338 rum built. Have the action and have the brass.. just haven't decided who to build it.
Who is building yours?

Brian over at shoot-long.com is building it for me. It's a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion titanium action. Proof barrel and a McMillan game hunter carbon fiber fill. It'll be topped with NF ultralight rings and a big heavy NXS. I'm hoping for 8-8.5lbs scoped

i have heard of some guys carrying around 13 plus heavy barrel rifles. I can't imagine how they feel on a Pack out

Brian over at shoot-long.com is building it for me. It's a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion titanium action. Proof barrel and a McMillan game hunter carbon fiber fill. It'll be topped with NF ultralight rings and a big heavy NXS. I'm hoping for 8-8.5lbs scoped
Should be
Thanks! It's sounds like you have gone for the best components. I looked at doing that very thing except a Pierce titanium l action. And wow.. the expens for the components. Plus the time. I am surprised that it would come in so heavy. But I don't know the weight of the scope. I would think rifle think should be 5 pounds.
Lex at rifles inc says can get me at about 5.5 pounds. But I didn't check about barrel length. I also thought to call melvin forbes from nula.
Most smith's think I am crazy for wanting a lightweigot 338rum
What is you plan for bullet and load? I am hoping to shoot a barnes ttsx 225 at about 3000fps.

Should be
Thanks! It's sounds like you have gone for the best components. I looked at doing that very thing except a Pierce titanium l action. And wow.. the expens for the components. Plus the time. I am surprised that it would come in so heavy. But I don't know the weight of the scope. I would think rifle think should be 5 pounds.
Lex at rifles inc says can get me at about 5.5 pounds. But I didn't check about barrel length. I also thought to call melvin forbes from nula.
Most smith's think I am crazy for wanting a lightweigot 338rum
What is you plan for bullet and load? I am hoping to shoot a barnes ttsx 225 at about 3000fps.

Scope is 30oz... I hope I am over estimating on weight. It'll have a terminator T3 brake on it. I plan on using a 265 LRX it I don't like it I may do the 250 TSX or the 225 ttsx. I'm going to start a thread on the build later.

I'm interested in a 338 rum but havn't consider a light weight rifle do to the kick... I was hoping to be around 9 pounds with the scope ..

Scope is 30oz... I hope I am over estimating on weight. It'll have a terminator T3 brake on it. I plan on using a 265 LRX it I don't like it I may do the 250 TSX or the 225 ttsx. I'm going to start a thread on the build later.

What do you think you can get the lrx to. I could not find load data for it. And will the lrx be a good elk bullet?

I suspect I can get 2900 + and i have used LRX before it's a good bullet, it's just like a ttsx

Thanks a lot! I wanted to go heavier but only if I can get close to 2900-3000. I get nervous with barnes bullets because the monolithic bullet is longer lead core bullets. What coal are you shooting for? Are you going to have the Smith modify the rifle so you can run a longer oal than factory?
Sorry for the questions but you seem to be doing exactly what I want to do. Which apparently is rare. Everyone else is building heavy single shot target guns.

My long actions always get extended magazine boxes installed, however the LPA action comes that way straight from the manufacturer. So I will be ordering a wyatts windowed extended magazine box. The reason I chose the 338 rum is it is the shortest of the rums's so I can shoot long bullets and still seat them out of the case. And performance is right up there with the other big 338's. It obviously fits the 700 and 700 clone actions perfectly. They feed very well etc. it should make a very user friendly hunting rifle with lots of power.

I just had a new barrel put on my 338 rum a couple months ago. I am all the way up to 100 rounds now. The barrel is a bartlein 5c in a number 5 contour, but it looks a bit heavier. I am shooting 300 gr bergers at 2800 and 300 gr accubonds at about 2780 with 99 grs of rl33. This gun tips the scale at about 12 lbs without ammo. It is about 1 pound heavier than my last barrel. My horse shouldn't mind carrying it too much, she just wishes I would loose about 15 lbs.

On my last barrel, I was able to get 3250 with a 225 TTS and 3300 with a 225 accubond. On this new barrel, I just can't bring myself to load up light bullets because the heavy bullets are such a hammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.