Weekend project gone wrong...

68D44176-926A-4219-A5F9-4611D127FEAF.jpeg
Wow have almost the exact scar from falling in the woods cutting timber. The splinter came back out when I pulled away, except for a little piece that I didn't know was still in there until the infection set in. It was gruesome and painful for several days until I finally went to the er and they cut my palm open and removed a little piece of wood.
Moral of the story is, make sure they get it all out. It's was awful! My hand festered up and it was oozing a very nasty yellow bodily fluid.
I circled where the entrance wound was. Lol

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to add a picture here...so words will describe...
Couple siblings and I decided to go swimming....while crossing the stream which was maybe just above ankle deep...i stepped and ran a piece of driftwood up into my ankle...it hit just below the bone and basically peeled the flesh up and over the socket....about 1" scar still.....that river turned red...glad there weren't any sharks......ssharks......so they went swimming...i went back to the house and poured peroxide inside to clean it....never had any problems with infection......

The doc wants to do the wait and watch. Not really any pain anymore and we can't feel anything in there. We may do an ultrasound once the wound channel heals up a little more. Should be able to see it if it's still in there.

The doc wants to do the wait and watch. Not really any pain anymore and we can't feel anything in there. We may do an ultrasound once the wound channel heals up a little more. Should be able to see it if it's still in there.
Not sure about the ultra sound, but wood does not show up in a X-ray. At least the species that was stuck in my hand didn't.

About 15 years ago I was at the coast exploring tide pools when I slipped and fell back. I caught myself with my right hand right on an urchin. Completely crushed it. :confused: Spent close to 2 hrs pulling quills out at the beach. Another couple at home with tweezers and razor blade. Finally needed a surgeon to get the last of it.

In almost 30 years of building, I've had several slivers like that, some worse. Not fun, but not as bad as nail gun wounds. mtmuley

In almost 30 years of building, I've had several slivers like that, some worse. Not fun, but not as bad as nail gun wounds. mtmuley
You must have had an accidental discharge?

I pulled one about half that size out of Brian last winter with needle nose pliers.

Steve

I've had three unfortunate instances with pneumatics. A sliver under the fingernail gets you're attention also. mtmuley

Closest I've been to that is when we were kids and I shoved that nail thru my foot when we were working on the ranch. I did fall down once and broke the fall with my Left hand. Out came down in a tool box and it came back out with a screw driver through it. Just bulging the skin on the back of my hand. Was surprisingly hard to pull out.

Steve

I've had three unfortunate instances with pneumatics. A sliver under the fingernail gets you're attention also. mtmuley

Talk about nail guns. My boss became impatient and jumped to demonstrate the quick use of a nail gun. Immediately he bent over and blood started coming from his crotch. The nail went right through his penis!

Worst nail I saw was a 3" nail shot sideways into the hand, buried out of sight, just a little hole where it went in......thought it bounced until attempt was made to make a fist! I have a picture of my hand, run through a diamond blade......makes me very thankful for modern medicine/surgeons. My thumb is back pretty much 100%, but it wasn't many years ago that I bet I'd have ended up with a stick thumb.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.