Weekend shoot

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, the shoot that I have been looking forward to for months now has come and gone. It was a two day event, w/a factory class on Saturday and an open class on Sunday.

I planned to use my Savage 12BVSS .243 Win for the factory class and Lerch was going to use his 112BVSS 25-06. Time and weather have kept us from shooting as much as we would have liked over the last month or so but we figured our minutes out on Friday night and had high hopes going into Saturday.

The last time out I shot this same rifle on both w/55 gr ballistic tips. Winning the factory class and finishing third in the open!!! Since then, I have tuned it up w/the 105 Amax and Lerch and I have entered into the 1000 yd club w/this rifle. Now that the wind was much less of a factor, I had already given myself the first place trophy. Boy was I wrong. I'm not sure what the problem was, but my rifle refused to shoot. It was sooooo bad that I couldn't even hit the 100 yd balloons!!!! Lerch faired a little better, as he came away w/third place. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Sunday brought new hope as I had my 300 RUM shooting the 210 wildcats very well. I had verified my minutes after the shoot on Saturday and was ready to sling some lead!!!

Lerch was going in blind w/his 270 AM. We had not verified the drops of the full tilt loads so he was running off Exbal. He was going to be relying on heavily on his spotter. Much to his dismay, some old guy that none of us new was the only guy to spot for him. I remember hearing through my electronic earmuffs, "Looks like yer a little low and right." Lerch would then turn around and ask how much???? "Awe, I don't know, about this much." Needless to say, Lerch was screwed and not a happy camper.

It was about 20 degrees cooler and the baro pressure was a bit more than the previous day, and much to my suprise my minutes @ 500 yds were off. I had to put two more clicks of elevation than I had to the day before. Once I figured this out I did fairly well. I was in the lead after the first round, but stunk it up in the second round and fell out of contention.

Despite sucking it up for the majority of both days, Lerch and I still had a good time. When the shoot was over, they put up some steel targets @ 500 yds and there were more @ 660 yds and 760 yds. There was a small 4" target @ 500 yds that was set up w/a 7/8" steel circle with about a 2' rod welded to a collar which was slid over a horizontal pipe. This target was a blast to shoot b/c it would spin around multiple times when hit by a "real gun.".

The record for rotations was 3 3/4 by a 300 win shooting a 210 gr Berger. Lerch challenged it with a center hit from a 169.5 gr wildcat. He was only able to get 3 1/4 though.

I knew I could smoke the old record w/the 210 wildcats leaving my muzzle @ 3200 fps. I took aim, and was trying very hard to score a 6 o'clock hit on the gong. After several close misses, I finally conected right @ the 6 o'clock position.

I quickly recovered my sight picture, but did not see the gong spinning. Instead, I saw the gong, rod and all lying half buried in the backstop about 4' behind the pipe in once hung on!!!!

Here are pics of the gong. The bullet spash was .343" deep!!!

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

After most everyone had left, we decided to burn up the last of our fireforming loads in the 270 AMs. I put in a BC of .740, a velocity of 3200 fps, a 15 mph wind from 8 o'clock and a target range of 760 yds all into exbal. I then told Lerch to dial 3.25 MOA windage and 13.25 MOA elevation. When he touched off the 8 oz trigger, I watched the pressure wave fly straight into the 12" gong @ the 5 o'clock position!! I one shot hit!!!!

We pounded on the gong for awhile and then let some of the others beat on it for awhile. I don't think that thing has ever seen that much punishment!!!

Lerch shot two, 3 shot groups on it when freshly painted. The largest measured about 4" w/the other measuring about 3" inches!! This was w/fireforming loads!!!!!

All in all it was a great time. I would like to thank Rick and Darrin (6-06) for making us feel so welcome. Hope you guys had as much fun as we did.

B.J.

BJ,
Hey man, ain't nothing wrong with shooting all weekend. Atta way to flex the RUM, just take out the whole gong. While I got ya, I got the zeiss in the other day. It's mounted on the 7 ultra and sighted in for the Arkansas hunt. Three more weeks and I'll put her to the test.
Thanks bud,
Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.