Weaver Kaspa??

SidecarFlip

Normally, I don't seek opinions about optics, especially rifle scopes in as much as I personally own quite a few of various flavors but, I kieep reading very favorable reviews about the Weaver Kaspa line so I'm patently curious.

I don't consider Weaver to be a high quality optic, especially considering the asking price (Kaspa's are anywhere from a buck and a half to three bucks depending on magnification and and illumination options but most of the line comes in a 30mm tube ad has adjustable side parallelax and from what I read, they shoot the box respectably and the glass is supposedly quite clear and the reticles sharp and defined.

The reason I'm asking is I'm about to set up a Savage 11 in 308 for a friend for primarily Michigan whitetail hunting. I already have the rifle minus a scope and I want to get him a resonable optic for less than 250 yards at a price that won't break his wallet. He's retired. I'd hang a Vortex 4-16 PST in MOA-MOA or a NF on it but the Kaspa's are so much less expensive but do they measure up?

As a rule, optics in this price range have seroius shortcomings. Do they and if they do, what are they?

I'm curiious.

I've been checking them out at the local ranch store.

I have cranked and banged on several of them Messed with every adjustment they have.

There is nothing I don't like.

They are head and shoulders above others in their price range. Especially the pan Pantex offerings.

The only thing dumb about them that I've discovered so far is that name. Where did they come up with Kaspa????

There will shortly be one going on my Sig 556.

Also, I have a discontinued Weaver Mil Dot Tactical. Short comings are the Mil reticle and 1/8" clicks. 4.5-14X44, Just right for about anything I want to do with a 338 RUM.

Other than that she rates right up there ahead of my ziess Conquest and below the NXS.

Thanks Roy.

I trust your judgement....

I'm a little 'dumbed down' I guess by optics pricing as of late. Even Vortex is getting expensive and then I read a couple reviews on the Weaver and though to myself....maybe this the next hot scope.

Virtex made a grand entrance with reasonable pricing but the reasonable pricing is steadily increasing....to not so reasonable anymore.

It is a strange name. Sounds like a girl's name but it (Kaspa) might make a some inroads into Vortex and Leupy sales.

I think I'll get one for the 308 for my friend. Will be his first optic (always iron sights) so he should be tickled.

I read somewhere it was Chinese glass but today, China turns out some good stuf, I look at China is the Japan of 15 years ago. China is fast becoming a major player in the machine tool industry, why not in optics.

Found this when looking for the meaning of Kaspa:

Answer:
it is a spiritual medical terminology about the laws of love and when and how to kill another human being. not a samurai story…..

Sex & killin' can't get any better than that!:roll eyes:

I'm thinkin' of that female bigfoot. . . .

Good advice from 2 dirty old men to a dirtier old man......:D

I believe he will be quite happy with it actually. He don't have a choice because I already ordered one......:)

'Kaspa' can have a nice ring to it, defined that way Roy.

I have a Weaver Kaspa 4-16x44 with the basic "Dual-X" reticle that I purchased as a budget scope for my Remington Model 700 ADL .270 WIN. I have a range card set up for it from 150-700 yards and it has never failed me yet with at least 100 rounds through the rifle with the scope mounted. Have taken a few deer with it so far and the rifle is capable of 3/8 at 100yds and keeps the shots well under 1 MOA out to 700yds. I believe it is a great option for someone that is on a low budget I was on. I bounced around the idea of replacing it with a Vortex 4-16x or something in that class but can't really find anything wrong with the Weaver to replace it. It has really clear glass IMO especially for its cost, adjustments aren't the greatest but not bad, and it has reset able turrets. I don't think you can go wrong with one for $150. gun)

... I read somewhere it was Chinese glass but today, China turns out some good stuf, I look at China is the Japan of 15 years ago. China is fast becoming a major player in the machine tool industry, why not in optics.

What?!? Has someone else gotten access to your LRH account? Have you been seeing a hypnotherapist? Has your body been taken over by an evil spirit?

This can't be Daryl talking!

The Kaspa scopes that I've seen had pretty decent glass for the price. The resolution was as good as anything else in that price range, but the contrast was better. That was a surprise, considerimg the price. Your friend should be happy with it.

I read somewhere it was Chinese glass but today, China turns out some good stuf, I look at China is the Japan of 15 years ago. China is fast becoming a major player in the machine tool industry, why not in optics.[/QUOTE]

I can personally say 99% of Chinese machine and tool products are junk. I work at a machine shop during the summer when I'm out of school, and somebody always has a micrometer or set of calipers screwing up on them because they're made in China. My Dad is one of the main machinest at the shop and he got in a roll of steel one day, that a company sent in for him to work with and It was Chinese. Needless to say, when he was cutting the bore in the roll, this cheap steel was flexing terribly inside the bore. My Dad told the foreman how junk the steel was and they both agreed to send it to the lab fpr testing. The lab couldn't even tell if it was hard steel or mild steel let alone the exact kind of steel such as 4140 like it was labelled as. To conclude, that was our shop's first and last experience with garbage Chinese steel.

What?!? Has someone else gotten access to your LRH account? Have you been seeing a hypnotherapist? Has your body been taken over by an evil spirit?

This can't be Daryl talking!

The Kaspa scopes that I've seen had pretty decent glass for the price. The resolution was as good as anything else in that price range, but the contrast was better. That was a surprise, considerimg the price. Your friend should be happy with it.

No, Bruce. I've been watching and reading and looking at the Chinese made high end machinery and it's become quite competitive both in execution and accuracy in mechanics and electronics with their other European and domestic counterparts. Coincidently the pricing is climbing as China becomes more industrialized like the rest of the world. There is still Chinses junk out there and plenty of it, but the bar is constantly climbing.

As China becomes more mainstream in quality and execution, prices will gravitate upward because the workers will go from beating out a product on a wood bench in a hut to actually producing products that are world class.

I'm still adverse to the junk, that will never change and that can be junk from any country, including the United States.

Kind of a late reply but I was looking for a reasonably priced/budget scope for my Cetme 308 last year and found the Kaspa 3.5-12x44 il. TBX with locking turrets and side focus for 168 bucks it is a huge looking scope at 13"long and a bit heavy the eye relief is very critical similar to my Burris handgun scopes, frustrating but you get used to it. The glass is nice and clear and I like the turrets BUT the clicks are very mushy not what you want for long range work. I really like the reticle but have not done anything more than sight it in at a 100yds last week with reloads so if the china factor doesn't show up I may consider other weavers in the future all that being said if I dropped my rifle I would not look through the scope with the same expectations as I do my Leupold and Burris scopes. "Guaranteed for life"

I don't believe I've ever seen a handgun scope with critical eye relief. Most are the opposite, at least mine are but I only have one a Japanese Burris on a 44 S&W. Eye relief is 15" to whatever...

If your Burris scope is a low power scope that is why every Burris pistol scope I own has critical eye relief these are high power pistol scopes. 7X, 3-9x32 and 3 2-7x32 distance of eye from scope and position (left right up and down from center are all very critical. These are all on long range handguns 14" 308AI, 257AI, 30AK and a 35 Whelen AI

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.