Weatherby Vanguard S2 .243 problems

diehardhunter243

Hey guys, I just got a Weatherby Vanguard s2 chambered in .243 win. I will be using this gun strictly as a long range varmint gun. I have been trying to work up some loads using the 87 grain hornady vmax and the 87 grain Berger vld. It seems like every load I shoot will put 2 touching and then the 3rd one will be 1-2 inches away, not necessarily in that order. Tonight I shot the bergers for the first time and I shot a 4 shot group and 2 shots were touching on the bull and the other 2 were touching 2 inches to the left. I am shooting off a leadsled. I am using H4350, Varget and RL-15. What do you guys think is causing the impact change?

Thanks

Sounds like you need to bed the action in the stock and verify that the scope bases and rings are tight. I loctite my scope base and base screws to the action.

A 243 is not a high recoil gun, but even rimfires benefit from being properly bedded.

My .243 Vanguard was the same.

It's barrel heating and Wetherby profiles.

Get a Boyds feather weight thumbhole. Float and bed. Barrel tuners/limb saver helps too.

If you're trying for accuracy, get rid of the Lead Sled. They're great if you're shooting big bore and just trying to see if your rifle hits a pie plate, but not great for accuracy. I used to use one but haven't touched it since I've been reloading and trying to improve my shooting and accuracy.

Read this thread:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/importance-being-solid-91149/

The 243 isn't a big recoil rifle - my 13 and 15 yo girls shoot one. :D
So, change your rest and go from there.

Having said that, all of my Vanguards are in B&C stocks, bedded, with barrel floated. They can shoot well under an inch with cheap factory ammo, so the potential is there.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.