Weatherby Vaguard trigger and stock

blygy

So my buddy went and bought a weatherby vanguard. He hasn't put a box through it and some things have become apparent. The stock sucks. I mean it touches the barrel on one side and not the other. It is the cheap plastic stock..

Any suggestions for a replacement. I'm trying to get him to contact Joel Russo and get a A5L but thought I'd check and see what else is available.

Also the trigger is awful.. I didn't put it on the scale but it has 1/8 inch of creep then it goes off. I needed 3 tries to get it to go bang as I'm used to better triggers. So any suggestions for a trigger as well?

Thanks again guys the info I get here is great.

Bell and Carlson makes a nice stock (actually, it's the Vanguard Sub-Moa stock) for ~$230. The Medalist stock for the Vanguard/Howa 1500 is similar to the Weatherby Mark5 synthetic.

The problem with the stock trigger is just when you get it adjusted to a decent level the saftey will not engage. I bought a Timney and it's great plus you get the added bonus of a three position safety. Hi-Score gunsmithing told me he can machine the stock trigger to perform better than an aftermarket one. I think he told me the price was $50. I found this out after I had purchased the Timney however I've aquired another Vanguard and will give them a try.

The Sub MOA stock is a good one as it came on my 1st Vanguard. However, the front pillar had to be shimmed up when I bedded it because it held the barrel down on a pressure point at the end of the stock. I ground that away and free floated the barrel. For a shim I just used a washer with the same hole diameter as the pillar and ground away the sides with the Dremel until it fit snug in the square lug recess then covered with bedding material. Before shimming I could see the action sitting lower in the front than the back of the action, now it is level.

Factory trigger!

I love the factory triggers in both of my 300 Wby's..... I have had the trigger on my LR 300 Wby "lightened" twice and it is WAY better than my buddy's Timney trigger. A good trigger guy can do a lot with that stock trigger, is all that I am saying and for less money....$35-$50 would be a fair guess.

Also those stocks on the Vanguard are cheap I'd spend some $$$ on a new one, IMO.

Best of luck.

CnS

I've worked on the Weatherby Vanguards and Howa 1500's and I know exactly what you mean. The best place to start is donate the stock to the local garbage man. Joel Russo makes the nicest laminate stocks available and you can't go wrong with one of his in any style. The factory trigger is down right junk. I've re-worked them down to be decent, but had at least 2 hours in doing it. Timney was the only one that made after market triggers that would fit the Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, Smith and Wesson 1500 and Mossberg 100ATR. They deffinately worked better than the factory, but you had no other options, until now.
Rifle Basix has out 2 "NEW" triggers that will fit the above mentioned rifles. Both trigger housing and levers are CNC machined and the levers are electroless nickel plated. The Weatherby 1 has a pull range of 1 1/2 lbs - 3 1/2 lbs and is factory set at 2 lbs. The Weatherby V has a pull range of 12 oz - 1 1/2 lbs and is factory set at 1 lb. Both triggers come with a safety.

Have you used the Rifle Basix triggers.. I have one on my savage 22 mag and I like it.

Thanks for the vote for Joel .. I'l try to get my buddy to go that way...

On most of the rifles I build I use Rifle Basix triggers in them. I've never had a problem with them. There are other good trigger mfg's. but I think Rifle Basix triggers give you the best bang for your buck. Tell Joel that Kevin Cram reccomended him to you guys, he'll treat you right. Good luck on your project.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.