Timney trigger for Weatherby Vanguard

Tater1985

Hello all. I'm new here and joined to gain some knowledge and insight about long range rifle shooting and accuracy. I am gearing up for my first elk hunt next Novemeber.

My dad gave me his old Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag. As some of you who are familiar with this rifle may know, the trigger is basically junk. I'm interested in putting a Timney trigger in it, but am unsure about which model. On their site it showed models broke down by different rifles, but the Vanguard was not an option. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Thanks shortgrass. I did take a second look at Timney's website and found that I must have overlooked the Weatherby Vanguard, as it is there. But I will say, that what I found matches what you've told me. Whether I select the HOWA 1500 or the Weatherby Vanguard from the Timney site, it brings up the same trigger kit. Thanks.

*** UPDATE ***

Well I got my Timney trigger about 2 days after ordering. I went ahead and done the install myself. Everything went pretty smooth, but the trigger seemed to have a fair amount of creep in it. In the mean time I found there was a recall on my bolt sleeve, so I had to send the bolt in to Weatherby for work.

While I was waiting on the bolt I did some research about adjusting my Timney and contacted them as well. They suggested that I send the trigger back to them to have it adjusted, but I told them that I would really like to learn to set it myself. So I was told how to make the adjustments, all I had to do was get my bolt back from Weatherby so I could check how the adjustments would feel.

follow up post coming . . . . . .

So once the bolt came back I went straight to adjusting the trigger creep and pull wt. Once I got it where I liked it and tested it for safety I was ready to shoot. I had to wait a couple weeks for a decent opportunity to shoot. Last Saturday I was able to use some of the 180gr Winchester FailSafes to get it "on paper" out to about 150 yds. Then I took the gun over to my father inlaw's to do some shooting with him and some others. Now keep in mind, this will be the first time I have ever shot any gun over 200 yds (except the 2 220 yd kills I have with my muzzleloader).

I break out my first box of HSM 168gr Berger VLD's and but 3 down range @ 200yds. About a 4" group shooting about 10" high. So I make a 20 click adjustment and take a little more time and send 3 more down range. 1.75" group 1/2" right of the bull @ 200yds! Wow, awesome, I love how much this trigger is helping.

We moved back to 300 yds and my numbers ran through the ballistics calculator said with a 200yd zero I should drop 5.96" @ 300yd. So I didn't touch my CDS dial. Sent 3 down range . . . . . 3" group 6.25" low of the bull. Exceeding my expectations, this is my first time shooting @ 300yds!

Back to 400yds. Numbers say 17.06" of drop. So I decide to try the CDS dial to keep it on paper. 17.06 / 4 = about 4.25 MOA, my budy says, hey this is 421yds, so I give it and extra click for good measure, making 17 clicks for elevation. I held on the right side of the paper for the crosswind we had . . . . . Printed a 4-4.25" group about 6" straight right of the bull, elevation was dead on!

I could not have been any happier, this was about twice as far as I had ever shot before. And I forgot to mention, these were all shot laying on the ground shooting off of a bipod attached to the sling stud!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.