Weatherby rifles and cartridges

weatherby rifles

• Total voters
Thanks Mike and everyone else,
Right now I am just in the beginning stages of looking at another rifle. I used to work a gun range, and just talking about an upcoming project chewed up alot of the dead time. Hell I think it took 6 months just to decide what cartridge I wanted in my bench gun. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the next one. thanks again

7ultra
I have 2 257's, a 'Glitzy'(Japan)Lazermark (boyhood dream)that will shoot 3 in nice .6 group at 200w/ the first 2 always touching the other 10:00. Take it out once a year, same impact point as 4 years ago! Wood stocked. If you ever open the stock in the barrel channel, remeber to seal it with a good uerathane. (i'm told Weatherby uses floorathane?? the stuff they use on bowling alleys to finish their shiney stocks with and it's baked on!) My other is a (USA)Lightweight. They both love the 115 Ballistic tip and I'm always amazed at the minmal damage and yet drop dead enegy that bullet has on the animals.
I will tell you this, they both required alot of shooting to get broken in 200+ rounds. Use the proper break-in method and do alot of cleaning. Kreiger barrels web site explains this nicely and spells the process out well. The Lghtwght was atrochious, I thought it would never stop fouling. But it finally cleaned up. I have rebedded them both. Weatherbys need a pressure point! The factory does know some things,they didn't spend that reseach money for nothing. I also tried the freefloating..no no no. Get someone that does good bedding jobs, have the trigger set properly, work a load up after the barrel settles, sight in 2" high at 200 kill at 400 no brainer. Remember Weatherby's are made for one shot kills and they do that very well, if you do your part.
Get 2 one a 257 and a 300 or 30-378. Their brakes work very also. Remember, speed kills
Hence the handle "Freebore" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have three rifles in Weatherby calibers.Two are not Weatherby rifles and one Mark 5 custon in 340 that I don't shot.One is a rebarreled Winchester Model 70 winlite ,26" barrel,257.Best deer killer I have ever owned.Other is FN Supreme 400 26" barrel in 300.Have killed three elk all one shot and all over 250yds with the 300.One at 375.I'm very happy with my choices tho they may not be yours.

Another Weatherby Review. Here is one of the targets from the testing of my new 257 Wby Accumark and the new 110 grain Nosler Accubond.
svi00209vi.jpg

.401" 3 shot group.
Weather was clear and 45 degrees.
Work up Load:
Weatherby brass neck sized with Lee die.
CCI-250 primer
75 Grains of RL-25
OAL 3.330
Velocity 3565 fps --- ES 23 fps
This is a very mild load in my rifle.
I still have a ways to go with the RL-25.

From a previous test 73 grains of IMR-7828 put the 110 AB at 3525 for a good safe top load in my rifle. Not quite as good as .401 but .7" for sure. Recovered bullets from clay bank showed about 65% retention and the core is bonded very well to the peeled back copper. Very similar to the Partition as advertised.

I love my Weatherby's. They just flat work.

<font color="red">Reloading is dangerous. As with any load data it is for entertainment purpose only. Your results may vary.</font>

I owned a beautifull .270 with a leopold 6.5x20 on it.I spent many hours hand loading and working on this rifle.The rifle would not shoot a sub inch and a half group,no matter what I did.Pretty yes,shooter no.Gunfighter14425

Hey Hired Gun, how goes it? I purchased some Ramshot Magnum, and I have some RL-25, but havent played with them yet.

My cheap Vamguard SS shoots like a tack driver, and with the 257 wby mag cartridge, man is it one flat shooting mother. Under an inch easy, and 3 different bullet loads shoot to the same place at 100 yards. Like I said somewhere else, you couldnt pry this rifle from me, best accuracy I have ever seen from a low cost factory rifle.

The most accurate and cheapest rifle weatherby have is the Vanguard, it is certainly worth a look, its the same rifle as the Howa 1500.
Pete

I have several friends that own Weatherbys and they shoot tight groups! The thing I have against Weatherby is another friend had a 30/378wby and it would not group as advertised he sent it back to Weatherby and they wouldn't make it up. If your main selling ponit is accuracy you should not mess people over with rifles that will not shoot as advertised!!!!!

Weatherby Rifles

This is like swimming in a pond full of water moccasin but hear goes.

Weatherby and remingtion are my two favorite factory actions
to build custom rifles on.

The reason is that they are well made and respond to bedding and
blue printing very well.

The Weatherby MK 5 action is one of the strongest actions made and
normaly the only thing I have to do to the action is to lap the lugs in
(NOTE : I have never seen a factory action of any brand that had
100% lug engagement).

And from action to action I find the Weatherby tolerances very close to
the same.

One thing to remember is that each action (Remington, Winchester,Ruger,
Weatherby,Sako,etc require different methods of bedding and blue printing
to make them shoot there best.

I have been very pleased with the performance of all the Weatherbys
I have built or tuned.The best to date is a 30x378 mk 5 on a #7 Shilen
that shot a .092 5shot group. also I have a 30x378 accumark that will shoot
a 5 shot group of .277 all day long.

It,s to bad when someone gets a bad rifle of any kind but S*#$ happens
and you just have to move on.

As a gunsmith I am not afraid of building any custom rifle on a Weatherby
action and guarantee that it will shoot under 1/2 MOA.

Just my 2 cent's
J E CUSTOM

Over the years, I've had two .340 Wby deluxes, one .340 Accumark, and one .460 deluxe. (all factory stock) The .340's all made the Wby guaranteed 3 shot 100 yd group. The .460 would shoot .7-.8" with factory 500gr gate crashers.(an honest 8,000 #ft of energy). I once told a guy at the range that it really didn't hurt once you got used to momentarily blacking out! I don't remember who it was that compared Weatherbys to Harleys, but it's ironic that I sold the .460 to help buy a Harley. (I've had 3 Harleys in 50 yrs, all have been stone reliable). Everything else I worked on at night so I could ride the next day. I feel the same about the Wby's as I do the Harleys.
Right now, I have a .30x.378 that I built on an Alaskan action with a Hart hvy barrel that shoots sub 1/2 moa 5 shot @ 100 yds. I'm building another Alaskan in .338x.378 with a Shilen #7 select match barrel. I want to tune it for the Sierra 300gr mkhp's.
I won't build a rifle chambered for one of the .378 based cartridges on any other commercial action but a Wby Mk V. They're stronger than a wet goat and they're straight.

Allright, that's my 2 cents, Tom

Like em or hate em, there was an early post expounding on the Weatherby being AMERICAN. I don't think so. Personally, you couldn't give me one. Remingtons are American though. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.