Rockchucker and Long Cartridges

Matthew Gregory

I'm considering a Rockchucker press, but have been hearing some rumors that it won't reload a number of the cartridges I'll be using it for (300 RUM, etc) due to the OAL of these rounds. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

You haven't had any difficulty with bullet insertion? That seems to be the big problem I've heard of. Do you have to insert the bullet into the seating die and then press into the casemouth (holding the bullet in place)?

I use the RCBS RockChucker for my 338 Lapua. I have had no problems with bullet seating. My 200 gr Ballistic tips have an OAL of 3.715

Matt

I'm planning to purchase the Rockchucker press for 300 Tomahawk. I need your input on this. Which part that annoys you, wishing this and that should change? If none of a above, then I made a good choice!
wink.gif

Is there a word "Reminder" that we should be aware of?

-DG
300 Tomahawkallthewaaay

The OAL of my 270x300Ultra is 3.725" with 135 Mk. It works fine, not a whole lot of room left but it will acomadate a little larger. The rock chucker would be my choice.

I have been looking at the Redding Ultramag press, would you guys perfer the Rockchucker over the ultramag press? I have heard good things about the Ultramag press.

I have a Redding Ultra Mag and it is a great press. But I think either one will serve your needs just fine.
I have a rule I use when buying reloading equipment that works for me.
When for rifles buy stuff that comes in green boxes (Redding and RCBS) and when for pistols you can add blue to those colors and willnot be sorry. Just my experience with my stuff: 308 Oh yea I guess you can add yellow to the rifle stuff, My Wilson dies came in yellow boxes.

Which press is easier to use/ which one would you guys rather do all your rifle loading on? Rockchucker or Ultramag? Seems like the Ultramag would be a bit more convient, but I don't know?

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.