Weatherby questions 338?

eddybo

If you had a weatherby markV in 300WBY and a 338 blank laying around which way would you go, lapua or edge or keep it WBY?
I already have lapua brass and dies and am leaning that way. I would have to have the bolt face opened up, is this feasible on the weatherby?

What modifications other than opening the bolt would be required?

Stock suggestions?

I would sell the Wby rifle, take your money and get a Borden receiver, quality stock and put that fine barrel blank to good use!!!:D

A little kidding there but really, thats what I would do. That Wby is worth alot more to resell now then it would be if its been modified by a gunsmith and there are MUCH better platforms to build on then the Wby.

I may take some heat from the Wby fans but thats just my opinion. If your looking for a rifle platform that will work every time, the Wby MkV will never make my preferred short list of receivers.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby thats all I needed to hear. Was just having some ideas since I had some parts laying around. Idea abandoned.

If you had a weatherby markV in 300WBY and a 338 blank laying around which way would you go, lapua or edge or keep it WBY?
I already have lapua brass and dies and am leaning that way. I would have to have the bolt face opened up, is this feasible on the weatherby?

What modifications other than opening the bolt would be required?

Stock suggestions?

340 Weatherby. No bolt modifications required.

James

I would keep the weatherby. I have a 300 weatherby built on Remmy action. I love that round. Loaded correctly there ain't much it want do or game it want take.

As for the 338 blank. Keep it and start working on a 338 Lapua or Edge. You already have a barrel just find a good action to stick it on and go from there. There is no reason to waste a perfectly good barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts