Weatherby Action?

Autorotate19

Looking at using a Weatherby action for a 338 Lapua build. How much do you think I can pick up a donor for in the stainless model and who knows a smith that doesn't mind working on Them?

Thanks

If you have to have a stainless, you'll probably pay $700 or more for the rifle and then part it out. They're not too uncommon on Gunbroker, but check with LTLR or Broz as to what caliber(s) to start with so that you have the right bolt face.
You'll probably get $50 for the barrel, $35-50 for a synthetic stock, and you'll have to decide if you want the factory trigger or an aftermarket one.

I know of a Weatherby gunsmith in Wyoming if you're interested. He has put together some nice stainless rifles that I've seen, and did a bit of work for me as well.

Thanks for the reply. I know there is other threads on this but do you think its a big deal if I use a stainless action versus a chrome moly?

No, as they use the chrome moly actions with stainless barrels for the Accumarks every day. In addition you can find a used Mark V blued rifle as low as $500. I just saw one end on Gunbroker for a bit more than that but every few weeks one seems to go through.
And, they've used stainless as large as the 338-378 (if not larger) so I would not worry there.

I just always check the used gun racks everywhere I go and negotiate. The blued ones I have got many good deals on. Never got a deal on a stainless. Will do better their going for a custom action. The triggers are good on the old mk 5's. Any magnum mk 5 will do except the 240. You will need to open the bolt face on all but the 378 based bolts. No problem because they are all the same action and designed for that. A 378 wby based magazine box if it doesn't have one. The 257, 270 and 7mm wby's must have a slot cut in the bottom of the bolt to allow for bolt travel with the longer round. They make excellent builds. I have quite a few. Also feeds the RUM's better than any standard action. The best 338-300 RUM's I did were off the wby mk 5 actions. Just screw in the barrel and go. Feeds perfect and the mag length is good.
Broz's lapua is on a Mk 5 and he likes it. I have done a few but do not own a mk 5 lapua. mine lapuas are on Sakos. Easy to do though and by far the best action for it other than a custom.

Weatherby is making a couple 338 la models, maybe find one,shoot it out and repipe.Gunbroker or net?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.