Weatherby action vs. Remington action

Yorkplates

Is one better than the other? A lot of you here like the Remington 700 action. Is it heads-and-shoulders above the other production rifles? I had a Weatherby Accumark and thought it was a fine piece of work. It was a .30-378, so I never found out how accurate it could be. What was I thinking? Ammo=$$$$ Well, you might guess what I was thinking..."bigger is better!" That younger fella has become a more conscious and frugal person (I still don't mind shelling out for the rifle itself..nothing over $1500). I sold the Accumark and am now in a position to buy a new deer rifle for hunting here in the southeast. I also want to do a little target shooting with it too. That's why I'm wanting something that will take care of the deer and also have a chance at being a tack driver. I thought about going with Weatherby's Super Varmint Master in .308 or maybe 7mm-08. I like the stainless, fluted, 26" barrel. I wonder if Weatherby would do a 26" barrel in the Accumark for standard ammo? I know more about the .308 as of now, so that's where I'm leaning. What about the Remington? I liked the looks of the Sendero with the bull barrel, but they no longer make it. I'm not a custom kinda guy, but I would like to start re-loading my ammunition. Does anyone know where I can read-up on some more info to help me decide on a rifle? Can anyone explain the action differences?

Sorry if the post sounds long-winded!

Thanks!

I have owned lots of each and have quite a bit of money tied up in Wbys from their custom shop. Your question as to will they do a 26 inch barrel for the standard calibre, then answer is yes but it will cost heaps because it will take you to another part of Wby. You can order a Wby with a Krieger cut rifling barrel but you can't do that by just a paying a few dollars in addition to their standard rifle.

If your goals are in the accuracy end of town and you think you might want go full steam ahead then Remington is a better choice by far than Wby. A couple of simple reasons. You can't get a 3 lever trigger for a Wby. The bedding configuration of the Rem 700 is much better than the Wby and especially if you want a swithc barrel rifle which requirs the barrel to have no bedding under the first nch or so.

The Wby is for some people, and I am one of them, a very eye catching rifle. The action is very fast and slick to use but only in my opinion if all your rifles are Wby. Mixing between the 90 degree bolt lift of Rem/Win and the 54 degree of the Wby seems to make things awkward.

In terms of accuracy an analogy might be that a Wby and especially via their custom shop is like a Chev Corvette and the Rem is like getting an old Camaro and spending money doing it right up....it will [censored] all over the Corvette down the drag strip.

Hope that is of some help for you.

Mike

So, you're saying that I shouldn't buy the rifle and just get a Camaro? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So if I were to go with the Remington, what rifle should I look at purchasing? Some of their 700s that I like aren't even chambered in .308. I really like the Sendero and the new VSS II(?), but those rifles come pretty close to the cost of the Weatherby and by the time I changed some of the things out for better performing parts, I'd probably have spent quite a bit. What are some of the changes to be made to make a production 700 a better rifle?

Thanks for responding!

Get a Sako 75 and be done with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best of both worlds!! Accuracy, performance, looks, slick action, etc..sakofan..Welcome to LRH BTW, Tiger!!

Get a short action Rem 700 rifle at any pawn shop $300
order a barrel from Pac-Nor $220
send them both to a good smith to be worked and fitted $400
order a good stock of you choice $200-$600
the Rem trigger can be worked to a nice 2lbs for about$50
and for about $1100 to $1500 you ahve a custom rig that will shoot circles around any of the factory rigs you mentioned and the best part you can make the little changes like barrel length and conture that will matter to you.

Or just buy a Savage !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
yae their ugly and not real smooth but they sure do shoot

If you do what J Jones suggests and get the HS Precision stock you will have a rifle that looks like a Sendero. In fact it would be a Sendero except with a better barrel.

Accuracy from factory rifles is luck of the draw, that is why you see so many varied answers on which is the most accurate factory rifle.

But the Rem 700 gives the best basis to build on.

Mike

Does the 700 action that I go and find need to be a gun chambered .308 if that's the caliber I go with in the final creation or simply a short action? I might need a short lesson in actions.

No it doesen't need to be a 308 , just have the same case head size which is basicaly all the same until you get up to the Mags or real small cals like the 223 , 222 , 17 and such.
And it realy doesen't even have to be a short action , I have a 308 built on a long action so I can use the realy long bullet seated out pretty far and still feed from the mag and not have the bullet stuffed way down in the case.

In all honesty , you can have this rig built for alot cheaper by using a cheap barrel like one from Adams&Bennet and get a cheap stock , the accuracy will still more than likely be better than any factory rig Rem turns out and probably foul less to(aside from their custom shop rigs)
It all realy depends on what you wanting to do with the rifle. Shoot deer at a max of 300yds , you probably don't even need the action trued. But if you want to puch small holes or shoot long range you owe it to your self to get a good barrel and a well built rig

I got a buddy that gets a credit card , one with the 0% intrest for a year type deal and orders all his parts with that then sends the stuff off to the smith and pays him cash that way he has a good while to get the parts paid off. He gets a rifle built about every year.

Cheapest way out would be a Savage weather warrior mod 116 SAK. The only thing I would improve would be the stock,I have one and the thing will shoot sub min with the stock that came on it. It has a muzzle brake that is adjustable and is pillar bedded from the factory. The barrel is a bit short for my liking but the accuracy challenges my custom built rifles with match barrels!
And by the way ROLL TIDE !!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
And by the way ROLL TIDE !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me your coordinance......I'm calling in an airstrike!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats' on your unbeaten season,I have friends who have Weatherbys and they shoot great but I believe the 700 is probably better for building a rifle on.The Weatherby's do have one thing I like that is free bore, plenty of folks will say that guns with free bore aren't accurate but I have sone that are. What are your coordinates perhaps we could shoot sometime?

Auburn Tiger,

Just noticed your question. Welcome to the board as well.

If you are building a custom rifle, get a Rem 700 hands down the best factory action to build.

If your going to buy a semi-custom rifle which the custom shop Wby rifles are, I would still get a rem 700 action and have a rifle built to the specs you want.

My package price full custom rifles will come in at less then what most custom shop Wby rifles will and I would have no worries that it would far outshoot the Wby.

Its far better to do things right the first time and that would be with a Rem 700 as a platform for this project.

It would be easiest to get a Rem 700 short action chambered for one of the 308 based rounds, 243, 260, 7mm-08 or 308. None of these would need any receiver or bolt work at all except the accurizing process.

Smaller caliber 700s can be used, such as those for the 223 family or rounds but the bolt will need to be opened up and the extractor replaced.

The Wby receiver is a very stout receiver but no more so then a properly fitted Rem 700. Even with all nine of the locking lugs on the MkV receiver, only about 6 will bare.

Compare this lug area with that of a properly machined Rem 700 with 100% lug contact on its two big bolt lugs and the Rem actually has more baring surface asn shear area compared to the Wby.

The analogy about the Camero and the Corvette are about right on the money. from the factory they are both pretty hot cars, but tricked out to the max, the little Camero will smoke the vette.

Personally, for building extreme accuracy rifles for my customers, there is really only one action, the Rem 700. I use others such as Win M70 push feeds and even Savages but the Rem is the tops for quality, workability and end result potential.

Sakos are great actions but getting one will cost you significantly more then a Rem 700. Add to that the much more limited selection of sftermarket stocks and accesseries and there really is no competition with the Rem 700.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.