Weapons of a US sniper

Solesurvivor

Asking a question for a friend

She watched American Sniper and noticed he carried a BA rifle and a M4, which makes sense, a BA rifle and a semi-auto back up
Her question is if they are using an AR-10 (semi-auto) sniper rifle, what back up weapon would they carry, if any, besides a handgun

Just depends. Handgun for sure in an urban scenario, m4 is a possibility, but definitely a little overlap in capabilities. Environment and mission will dictate as well. There's no hard rules. Chances are if your using an ar-10 platform, it's your primary regardless. No it's not ideal for kicking doors as done in the movie. You can only carry so much.

Members of the sniper team from the Ranger unit that`s stationed at the base near where I live occasionally come out to our club range to shoot. I`ll ask them about back ups. By the way, absolutely first rate young men, friendly, not in any way show offs and more than willing to help an old man like me with his shooting. And fantastic toys that they even let me try! I cracked to one of them, " You guys really have no excuse to miss." He just gave me a little smile and winked. At least somewhat renews my faith in today`s youth. There`s just not enough like them!

Just depends. Handgun for sure in an urban scenario, m4 is a possibility, but definitely a little overlap in capabilities. Environment and mission will dictate as well. There's no hard rules. Chances are if your using an ar-10 platform, it's your primary regardless. No it's not ideal for kicking doors as done in the movie. You can only carry so much.
this
the spotter usually will have the closer combat weapon(s)

Asking a question for a friend

She watched American Sniper and noticed he carried a BA rifle and a M4, which makes sense, a BA rifle and a semi-auto back up
Her question is if they are using an AR-10 (semi-auto) sniper rifle, what back up weapon would they carry, if any, besides a handgun
The teams used worked with (Army) used an Accuracy International in 300 Win Mag and carried a short barreled (10.5" i think) M4 as a back up, as well as a side arm. It may be different for other branches and was 20 years ago.

Members of the sniper team from the Ranger unit that`s stationed at the base near where I live occasionally come out to our club range to shoot. I`ll ask them about back ups. By the way, absolutely first rate young men, friendly, not in any way show offs and more than willing to help an old man like me with his shooting. And fantastic toys that they even let me try! I cracked to one of them, " You guys really have no excuse to miss." He just gave me a little smile and winked. At least somewhat renews my faith in today`s youth. There`s just not enough like them!
Went thru Ranger School Jan 74 and assigned to a Ranger Company the previous yr. Long before the Batt boys showed up. Sorry, side tracked, point is, some of the finest men I served with were Rangers. As u said, we need a bunch more like them......

Mission/environment dictates.
If in the city, bolt actions are heavy and cumbersome...and really suck to clear rooms :p

Semi-autos are mucho preferred but heavy and not ideal for clearing rooms either.

Hilly terrain bolt guns rule the road, but not so fun in a gunfight where you have to move or suppress to move.

That is why they operate in teams. No such thing as the best if it is only one lone wolf...

Bolt gun+M4= happy place...

She really ought to buy the book; nevertheless, https://americansniperusn.weebly.com/military-weaponsgear.html.

BTW, while I have mentioned it before, my AD Army SIL took my Model 70 300 WinMag customized by our own @Fiftydriver to the range on "bring your weapon to work day". Couple of Ranger snipers said "*** is that?" shot it, and were impressed. And that's with a beautiful walnut stock and a decades-old Mark IV.