Weapon Choice....Advice please

Aaron52x

Hello
This is my first post here, I have lurking for awhile, trying to learn as much as I can. I have found myself wanting to get back into long range shooting. Allot has changed since I last had A intrest in the sport 20 years ago.
I have A Savage 110S .308 with A weaver t-10 scope. My father bought it in the late 70's brand new. The gun only has about 200 rounds through it and is clean as A whistle. I am thinking this will be A good gun to start shooting again till I find out what really works......Thats where you guys come in. I have looked at the Savage model 10 presision, seems like A nice gun for the money. I have also looked at the Sig Sauer Blaser and 3000. Again nice gun, but alot of money. So here are A few questions

What caliber boud be best for A beginner shooting 1000 yards ?
What would be a good first gun, On A budget, and No budget
Are there any shooting schools in Idaho,Utah,Nevada

Thanks for all your help, This forum is very informitive, All most to the point of being confussing

Thanks
Ab

Welcome aboard......

I'd seriously considering starting with what you have.

Many 1K F-Class guns are 308s though maybe a little heavier than what you have, but nevertheless 308s.

10X is plenty of scope for starting also.

Heck, I started with a 270 Win in a Mauser surplus action w/a 24" Douglas sporter barrel that was put together in 1966. I started LR in 2003 or 4?

It worked well but didn't have much barrel life left. But it was a good start.

Get what you have stretched out as far as you can. By then you'll have a better understanding of what your next move will be.

It worked for me......

Thanks for the reply, Thats pretty much my plan. I do also have A Leupold 6.5 x 20 that has been doubled in power, It does not have a large field of view but it is crystal clear I am more interesed in long range target shooting an some varmit hunting, So which one would you use? How close to Twin Falls are you?

Thanks
Ab

Hello
So here are A few questions

What caliber would be best for a beginner shooting 1000 yards ?
What would be a good first gun, On A budget, and No budget
Are there any shooting schools in Idaho,Utah,Nevada
Thanks
Ab

Welcome to LRH and your first post!
First of all, you will read many opinions, as there are many ways to go
I would go with a 260 Remington or 6.5-284 (6mmBR as well).
The Savage rifles for the money and what you get is pretty good.
A 6.5-284 would be my top choice/Lapua brass (130-140 grain VLD's/ Fed match primers & H-4350 or H-4831sc).
A 260 would give you a longer throat life and still give you the same performance i am getting with my 6.5-284's (specialty handguns).

Custom route: I won't even start-so many good directions:)

Shawn Carlock and Darrel Holland both have schools fairly close to you.
Either would provide you with great instruction and a great time.

How far from Twin? A hop, skip and jump. I'm in Blackfoot.

How do you think you'd get along with the mirage with that bumped up Leuy? I've found that the Weaver @ 14 is great and the Conquest @ 15 is also about max.

You Leuy @ the lower powers would be great also. The big problem is seeing bullet holes in the darn target when confirming drop chart data. At my place I'm stuck w/walking the 1100 yds to check the shots.:(

How far from Twin? A hop, skip and jump. I'm in Blackfoot.

How do you think you'd get along with the mirage with that bumped up Leuy? I've found that the Weaver @ 14 is great and the Conquest @ 15 is also about max.

You Leuy @ the lower powers would be great also. The big problem is seeing bullet holes in the darn target when confirming drop chart data. At my place I'm stuck w/walking the 1100 yds to check the shots.:(

Thats A really good point on the Leuy, My dad had it made years ago when were doing rimfire benchrest shooting. I have used it at 100 yards off A bench. But off of a Bipod it could present some challanges keeping it steady
I am in Twin Falls, I am not to famailiar with the area since I live in North Carolina and work in Jerome Idaho......Long story. We are hoping to get kid #1 through college back in NC.and then bring Kid #2 an wife out here.
Being out here for the last year and seeing all the nice ranges and varmit hunting has renewed my intrest in the sport, Then reading about the F-class......Really neat stuff.
We are headed over to the range in Jerome tomorrow, Been having some fun with my AR-15 over there. 200 yards open sights. I enjoyed shooting the M-16 when I was in the service shooting the M-16's was A really good reason to get up in the morning so soon as I got out ......I found A match AR.
Thanks for all your advice It is very helpfull

Ab

Welcome to LRH and your first post!
First of all, you will read many opinions, as there are many ways to go
I would go with a 260 Remington or 6.5-284 (6mmBR as well).
The Savage rifles for the money and what you get is pretty good.
A 6.5-284 would be my top choice/Lapua brass (130-140 grain VLD's/ Fed match primers & H-4350 or H-4831sc).
A 260 would give you a longer throat life and still give you the same performance i am getting with my 6.5-284's (specialty handguns).

Custom route: I won't even start-so many good directions:)

Shawn Carlock and Darrel Holland both have schools fairly close to you.
Either would provide you with great instruction and a great time.

Thanks, I looked at A few of the new Savages, They seem to be A good value. I will most likley shoot the 110s that I have till next year unless some great deal comes along.
How would those calibers do in metalic shiloette vs the 300,308,338

Thanks
Ab

just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i use. I just can't wait to go and shoot the thing it's going to be great

best of luck

Charles H Mousseau JR
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.