We Have A Problem !

Possibly try Venmo?? I know that our local PRS and steel competition uses Venmo instead of paypal to sign up for a match, because I believe it has the same protection but is not run by anti gun types, and I think it covers firearm purchases. I have never bought or sold in my few years as a member, but this may be a better way then paypal.
Venmo is owned by PayPal, I believe, but that type service would be a plus, if they were firearm friendly.

I've not been a member long but I've been seeing a lot of guys have problems being scammed.

I've had one deal go very very slow and thought I had been taken. I started to investigate how to track my money order...western union...it is almost impossible. I buy way more than sell, but it made me wonder how safe is USPMO???

I just sent $150.00 to a member here this morning for a Choate varmint stock....you guys are making me nervous! o_Oo_Oo_O

OLT...look at the number of "likes" a seller has...not that it's a sure fire way...but at least you know they've had meaningful exchanges in the forums!

You can look at every post a member has done, and kind of get an idea what kinda person they are. Are they just here to sell, or are they a member of the forum that contributes?

Its hard, but trust your spidey senses people

Have literally done hundreds of transactions here and other hunting/shooting related websites with very few issues. I always try speaking to the seller directly on large purchases and oftentimes check references......this will provide 95% protection. Other items I look for are (I) will this seller provide his cell and email address, and (ii) is his email address reasonable (matches his first and/or last name, or attached to a Company email address - or does it look fraudulent like [email protected]). If something seems dicey or to good to be true, trust your instincts and walk away. Or at the very least, pay the 3.5% paypal fee (assuming it isn't for a firearm). Used firearms are tough to sell in this market (oversupply and everyone wanting a NEW custom), so if the seller isn't willing to share his full contact info and possibly a copy/text of his DL (may people have been willing to provide at my request), then move on and find another seller.

I've come to this forum for info for years and just now finally joined and was sad to see this problem. Was imaging ways to avoid the problem and things I've done in the past.... About a year ago I made a purchase via USPS money order for a considerable amount of money for a custom rifle sold via armslist. I was very very hesitant since I had never been that trusting of a stranger with that amount of money. Before sending I had several personal discussions with the seller on the phone. He gladly provided his background info and even info on his personal business he had started. He was happy to have me research him and his business so I could feel comfortable sending him that amount of money. In the end it was a good deal for both of us. He didn't seem like a stranger when it was all over.

Another seller from one state over from me was willing to do the same with me but something just didn't feel right. Just for grins I told him I was planning a trip to his state anyway and that I would just meet him face to face for the purchase. He started making excuses for not being able to be there and told me he was going to be away for a few months. Told me all I wanted to know.

Yes this has been a serious issue if/when you get taken. I just had a trail camera taken this past Friday off my property, these two guys showed up the previous Wednesday looking for access to Cow Elk hunt since they needed to tag a Elk a mile from Private Property, maybe they came back to take my trail camera two days later or not, but I still had $150.00 walk away which ****ed me off!

Theft is theft, and people will like that have nothing to lose, and everything is a 100% gain once stolen, pure profit! Armslist has been known as Scamslist, and I saw that first hand years ago when that person somehow got my pictures off the internet and was using them to sell a Kimber Advanced Tactical 308 kit I had FS..... this person was using the same pics on my living room floor! I flag it, and so did a few friends that know me did too...... I even posted pics of that same flooring in the boxes I still have in my garage! That guy kept lowering his price hundreds of dollars each day and way below market value! It's tough when people can copy pictures off the internet, and use those same pics to steal from people.

I sell a lot of stuff off here, and members can see those sales, but we could use a "heads up" forum too and long as it's current. Shame this stuff happens, but theft is constant, and daily, those people somehow avoid from being caught, which is too bad. They won't stop until they do either?

I'm going to say the one thing that bites about PP, eBay.... The buyer ends up with your product, you have nothing, no money, no recourse, and it's out of YOUR hands, YOUR merchandise, YOUR money, and the seller could have just the same issues as a buyer with his check.

Ok, I've won Judgements in the Court of Law....... try to collect the MONEY! It will later be used as uncollectable debt off your taxes...... Ok, Enough said!

Some other sites have paid subscriptions, and the ONLY way you get to see the Classified section is if you're a paid member. The fee is usually not much ($10/yr for Savage Shooters, for example) but it is enough to keep away the scammers.

Then if Len deleted the cr@&&y pop-up ads for paid members it would be even better. :cool:

Buyer beware, seller beware.

I sell local face to face, that way its a win win for both of us.

Those that "choose" to roll the dice, good on you.

Times have changed, "some people" don't play by the rules, so take things for what they are.

I will sell over the Web, but it will be face to face at crunch time. I post all adds local, if their not willing to meet, then the sale is off.

Its just that simple.

Don from Western Canada

If you use a USPS MO and mail it to them and get ripped off the seller has just committed mail fraud and that is a federal offense. Just contact your local postmaster and file and he can get the investigation rolling. The USPS doesn't take these thing lightly and when caught the seller will wish he hadn't.

As a seller you have protection in that you can wait for funds to clear before ever shipping. That should be Rule #1. Additionally, Zelle is a service and app most major banks are using so that people can easily transfer money to each other. There are no stipulations that I know of like paypal because you're essentially using your bank account. I recently used it and it worked fine. I recently sold a rifle to a member here, and it was his first time buying online so although I think we both trusted each other, I gave him peace of mind by my shop talking to his, and my shop confirmed the rifle was in their possession, then he sent the money via Zelle, then I gave my shop the go-ahead to send the rifle.

I think buyers are more at risk to be scammed. I have been involved in 1 scam indirectly where the scammer asked me to write "his" name on a sheet of paper next to the scope that I was actually trying to sell. Said he would very intent on buying it and would send money right away. I sent picture of his name next to scope promptly, and he disappears. At that point it seemed weird because we had sent a couple messages back and forth within minutes including my picture. A few days later I get a random message from a guy who asked if this series of events had occurred. I say yes, and he goes onto tell me that this scammer used my scope picture with his name as HE had requested trying to protect himself from being scammed. So the scammer basically turned his request around on him and he got royally screwed on an expensive scope. I really felt bad for the guy, but there was nothing I could do as I had been used too. I wanted to share this story because thieves aren't dumb.

I actually feel like in todays world of video chat, facetime, etc. If you're scared as the buyer you should video conference the seller to verify they really have the item you want. Sellers, don't send item until real money is in your bank.

I have successfully purchased items on the internet for years. The only issues I have had were on this site and not by the ones named above. The majority of the items I have purchased here have been great transactions. The bad transactions were from folks that had been members here longer than was mentioned above as well. Due Diligence is your best protection.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts