Watch your Winchester brass

Savage12

Hello everybody. I'm a newbie here...been lurking for several months, but anyway I had an FYI to warn you about. Just last night I was working on a new batch of 100 Winchester .308 Win brass and found eleven cases that were 20 grains heavier than the rest!!! That's right, twenty grains heavier. All external deminsions were good/normal, but these cases were very thick and had less internal capacity. The other 89 cases only varied about three grains. I don't have the lot number, but can tell you that this brass was purchased from Midway last month so it should be fairly recent production.

welcome to the NEW winchester ! I usually have a 7-8% reject rate on new win. brass, so only use it for 2 rifles. Call the so called customer "service" line and they will send you a cert. for $5.00 off, big whoopie!

I was talking to a gun smith about something else and brass came up. He had just got brass for his 7 wsm from win and said it was the worst lot he has ever seen, I think he said he threw away like 20% off them, so yes watch this batch of win brass.

Just bought some 300 win part of the nice was missing and on the resizing all the necks were a mess.
Maybe time to look at something else.....Nosler or RP Brass......

If your running a 308 Winny, go the extra dollar and buy some Lapua or Norma brass. I have Norma and RWS. Wouldn't trade any of it for anything else. Watch for RWS loaded ammo sales. I just purchased 100rnds for $20 a box. Their bullets aren't worth squat, but their brass is a premium brass.

Tank

From the Wincheter Ammunition website http://www.winchester.com/Products/components/cases/Pages/default.aspx

"Shellcases for handguns and rifles are engineered to precise tolerances to ensure smooth-feeding and positive chambering. Winchester carries unprimed rifle shellcases and both primed and unprimed handgun shellcases."

Most brass manufacturers mention case weight or capacity consistency.

Does anyone know who presently manufactures Winchester(tm) brass?
Apparently the only part of the original Winchester company which has survived intact is is the Winchester trademark.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts