Was told that NF is over price

Not sure what Vortex he had but he payed $600 for 4x-16x Then when he purchased his Cooper, he felt he needed better glass so he got the Vortex Razor HD 5-20 .................I told him that his other vortex was all he needed. He's a Vortex guy and will not buy anything else.............

and shooting 2.5" groups at 100yds is more than enough for Hunting..........

We do have different views and have learned not to argue about the little stuff...................

Buying a Vortex Razor to shoot 2.5" groups at 100 yards is like paying a hooker to do your laundry.

Buying a Vortex Razor to shoot 2.5" groups at 100 yards is like paying a hooker to do your laundry.

HAHAHA! At hooker prices.... I wish there was a "Like" button on here.

A great man once said "Ignorance can be cured with education, there is no cure for stupid." (paraphrased of course). Greg, let your buddy think what he wishes; at this point he falls to the latter part of the above phrase.

t

The gen 2 Vortex that is in another thread here is something like 42 oz wow. I'm older and pack my rifle

I was just messing with the NF owners. They LOVE their scopes, which actually speaks volumes about the quality of NF scopes. I would definitely have owned one by now, based on their loyal following, if my rifles weren't all 8.5-10.5lb carry rifles - including the scopes and mounts.

46.5 ounces on the Gen 2 Vortex Razor with 50mm objective. The 56mm objective Vortex Razor Gen 2 weighs 48.5 oz. Makes the NFs lightweight scopes in comparison.

My 15-45X 65mm Zeiss Diascope spotting scope only weighs ~36oz. And sometimes I leave it in camp rather than in my backpack.

It is frustrating listening to people with opinions that really do not know what they are talking about and/or are too dumb stupid to have an open mind and learn things. I have found that when asking the opinion of any hunter about anything hunting related, most recommend what they have. I don't know if it's vanity, ego, tons of research or what, but I like to listen to why. And then listen to why they didn't choose something else. I remember asking a friend of mine about a savage rifle and his response was basically, "All savages are garbage". I knew at that point the rest of the conversation was useless.

I'm in the process of trying to choose a scope for a long range rig. I've been reading lots and lots here. I have always been a die hard Leupold fan and still think their scopes are top notch. I was sold on the Vortex for a minute, but started looking into the NF and realized it wasn't that much more money for a scope I feel is better based on opinions and reviews from lots of sources. But really, I haven't held one in my hands yet, shot one on a rifle yet or even seen one. But I also recognize other brands excel at other things. And I am open to new information as to why or why not any of my hunting gear is better or worse than something else.

I love vortex scopes and i think that the hs and hslr scopes are great for the money but they are nothing compared to a nightforce.

I tried to tell my friend that he should first find the load that his cooper shoots the best with, and that for now his 4x-16x is more than enough Scope.....
Until you get your rifle to really shoot and I mean at .5 or less buying a better scope is a waste of Money. Sure a Cooper is nice but until you find that perfect HUNTIING load ..........

He did ask me what I would have done, realizing that what he was really asking me was to agree with him.
He spent $2300 on his rifle and $1600 on his scope. I would have put $3,000 into a R Bros Basic Hunting Rifle and $1,000 into that new NF for about $1,000
I know My R bros Rifle was getting into the high .2's and the low .3's fire forming.................and all fire fomed loads at .4

Right now he is only hunting with the Standard .280 Factory Rounds rather than loading up the .280AI................................But to each is own.

The comment was Over Priced and over rated your paying for the Name ....................I would have no idea. Dont own one but would love to.

I know we could poke fun at your buddy all day about this and tell him he's wrong (and he is:D), but at least he is confident in his equipment. I have gone the past several years unsure of the scope(s) sitting on my dedicated LR rifle. Some swear by the brand/model scope I had (and I have been deployed with this brand) but I had so many problems in the past few years with multiple scopes (and warranty work) from them that I had to get away from them as much as I can. For my next deployment if I couldn't convince my Battalion Commander to let me upgrade our scopes then I was going to put my own money into at least one on my primary weapon system.

Let him be confident, some of us just pay more money for it.

That's for sure.....................He likes what he likes and does what he wants and as my wife tells me...............Just let him learn on his own......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.