Wanted: Pet load for .270 WSM.

4ked Horn

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to help a friend make the switch from factory ammo to handloads. He really likes the performance of the Nosler Trophy Grade .270 WSM ammo using the 140 gr Accubond.

If anyone knows which powders have a similar burn rate to what Nosler is using in that load that info would be helpful. If anyone has a favorite (as in, you have loaded and shot it yourself) recipe for something close (same cartridge, same bullet weight but different brand) or similar weight bullet (130,140,150) that they really like I'd appreciate that too. If I could have it all I'd also like loads using powders that are not temp sensitive as my friend hunts in all weather conditions. But any help is welcome.

Thanks.

Never shot factory Nosler ammo so I can't help you there.
My two pet loads for my Winchester Featherweight 270 WSM are.
66gr H4831SC, Nosler 130 Accubond, CCI 250 primers, .075" off lands
66gr H1000, Nosler 150 Partition, CCI 250 primers, .015" off lands
I got very lucky, both these loads shoot same POI in my rifle @200 yards
I have noticed in my rifle and helping my buddies with load development, the Accubond seem to like a bit of jump.

Never shot the factory load, but I developed a load for my Model 70 featherweight using the 140 Nosler Accubond bullet. My gun loved 60.5 grains of IMR-4350, in Norma cases, and WLRM primers. I also used H4350 with is more temperature stable than IMR-4350.

I put a Bartlein barrel on this gun and developed different loads. 150 Berger VLD, IMR-7977 powder produced some great results.

Mine likes 68.5gr of magpro shooting the 140AB. OAL of 2.825" (would go longer but restricted by mag) this is nearly .150" of jump

Thank you both! I was hoping someone had good results with the Hodgdon extreme powders. I love Hodgdon powders.

Also thanks for the tip on bullet jump with the Accubonds. That makes complete sense with the tangent ogive and the good results he has seen from a factory chamber and factory ammo.

I'll remember the Bergers if he wants to change bullets. (He's pretty sold on the Accubonds though ;) )

Anyone else?

Clark33

I saw that in the Nosler reloading data the Magpro gave best velocities AND was their most accurate powder of those tested. Do you know if it's temp sensitive?

I can't testify on how temp stable it is but I have a 22" barrel, it was 45degrees F out and the 68.5 grains gave me an average velocity of 3060fps, if you're running a 24" barrel I'd expect you to be in the 3100s

I just called Accurate Powders and they claim a 3-5% pressure variation from -40 deg to 140 deg. He said it is on par with the Hodgdon Extreme temp variations.

And the tech I spoke with was very friendly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.