Want to hunt Mule Deer out west, but where ??

eddief

Hey guys, I want to go Mulie hunting out West this year in either Oct. or Nov.
Idaho, Montana, Wyoming or ?? I live in Michigan and need to know where I could go and get tags over the counter and possibly what areas to look at, which are public. I know this is alot to ask, but I figured this is good as place as any to start. Thanks in advance for any help.

Eddie Fosnaugh

Idaho has several hunt areas that you can buy a tag over the counter. You would need to come in October for most of the Mulie hunts - most of them do not run into November. I would probably look in the Clearwater area (central Idaho)
Check the regs here

Thanks gonehuntin, This might work out because I have a Uncle who lives in Idaho, I'll contact him.

Eddie Fosnaugh[ QUOTE ]
Idaho has several hunt areas that you can buy a tag over the counter. You would need to come in October for most of the Mulie hunts - most of them do not run into November. I would probably look in the Clearwater area (central Idaho)
Check the regs <a href="fishandgame.idaho.gov" target="_blank">here.</a>

[/ QUOTE ]

To hunt out west you need toplan a year in advance .. these states arn't regulated like Michigan. The draw deadline for Mulies in Wyo. is March 15th. THere are some OK places in Idaho and Utah you can get over the countter tags but the catch is a lot of those areas that have the tags are mostly private ...

good luck ... if you need help planning a wyo hunt I'd be gald to stear ya in the right direction...

In Idaho, there is a ton of public land to hunt - mostly BLM and forest service, but even some timber companies allow the public to hunt on their land. They just changed the tag system to a 'general tag' or a 'white tail tag', both of which are good state wide and available over the counter (tag does not work for hunts where a draw is required, which is only in a few places, so check the regs). The general tag allows you to hunt white tail and muleys, and the whitetail tag is just for it namesake. The catch is that the general tag is good for the early/late late seasons everywhere except the late seasons around the Clearwater River areas in central Idaho - the whitetail tag is good for all of the state including the clearwater region late season (if that makes sense to you).

If you want to put in for a draw hunt for deer/elk, the application period is the entire month of May.

What part of the state does your uncle live in?

There are no mule deer in Idaho. The land is totally flat and dry. One big potato field. No mountains anywhere. Try Montana. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There are no mule deer in Idaho. The land is totally flat and dry. One big potato field. No mountains anywhere. Try Montana. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Wyoming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.