W748 in the 223 Remington

In my grandson's 16" AR 1:9 I load his hunting rounds with 55 Nosler bt's and h335.
It's a tack driver. He has dropped a few heavy weights the last few years
Lightning struck, I was amazed how well they preformed on the bigger bucks

Attachments

• C4893451-6D70-4809-B41C-8364C9B0C4B3.jpeg
    C4893451-6D70-4809-B41C-8364C9B0C4B3.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 36
In my grandson's 16" AR 1:9 I load his hunting rounds with 55 Nosler bt's and h335.
It's a tack driver. He has dropped a few heavy weights the last few years
Lightning struck, I was amazed how well they preformed on the bigger bucks
And silly me am only using the 55 grain BT on coyotes and such! lol
Actually 22 caliber isn't legal for big game here.
Very nice buck, congratulations to the young hunter. 👍🏻

Just getting finished up at the range this morning and figured I'd update on my findings. My findings are that my rifle doesn't like W748. I loaded up to 28.5 grains which is .5 above my Speer manual max for the 55 grain bullets and never pressured out but groups were disappointing.
I am going to move on from this powder at this point in time and maybe try it with some different bullets later. Probably going to try a couple others collecting dust on my shelf.
IMR 3031 or IMR 4198
Thanks for your replies and open to suggestions on next choice from the two powders above.
I am also curious did you try adjusting your seating depth on any loads ? Or do you believe it may not have made a difference ? Like I said I'm fairly new to reloading. And I'm trying to understand, just when do you decide what parameters to adjust the seating depth ?

I am also curious did you try adjusting your seating depth on any loads ? Or do you believe it may not have made a difference ? Like I said I'm fairly new to reloading. And I'm trying to understand, just when do you decide what parameters to adjust the seating depth ?
I did not adjust the seating depth. I don't think it would have made a difference BUT without trying I wouldn't know. Normal cup and core bullets I usually start .020 off of lans and if it shows promise at 2 or 3 powder charge weights I will try seating .040 and .060 off. This is the way I was taught and usually works.
I have used the Berger method of using a mid weight powder charge and adjusting seating depth in .030 increments until you see it likes the depth and then adjust your charge weight up.
Both have worked for me but I'm a creature of habit so I prefer the first method. Others on here have way more experience than I do and probably have their own and probably better way than mine.

Update. After reading the replies I decided to get some magnum primers to try with the w748 to shrink my groups some. Unfortunately it didn't help and oddly enough the groups were about the same size. (1.75")
I went ahead and loaded up some with IMR 3031 and the worst group was 1" and I was able to shoot 2 groups that were .800 with charges of 25 and 25.5 grains.
The rifle is fairly light and it's tough to get much better than that and for a mostly plinking load it's more than adequate.
Thanks for everyone's assistance

GREAT, good for you. Imr3031 was one of my favorites. Have you adjusted your trigger or change it. If its a plinker, I like a lite trigger . Sounds like your getting it.👍

GREAT, good for you. Imr3031 was one of my favorites. Have you adjusted your trigger or change it. If its a plinker, I like a lite trigger . Sounds like your getting it.👍
Yes I put a timney elite trigger in it last year. I will probably play with the seating depth a little to tighten it up the groups a bit more.

I DON'T have Time, to "weigh out" my .223 / 5.56 Ammo, with, "Stick Powders",.. so I use; 25.7 grs of Win 748 THROWN @ Mag length with, 55 and 60 gr. NBT's and, 65 grain, Sierra Game Kings.
All 3 bullets, easily shoot, Sub MOA ( Repeatedly ) out of my 16" Adams arms, 1-7 twist, Piston,.. "Repeater".
Plenty GOOD enough for, Varmints up to, small Deer with, the 65 GK's.

Update. After reading the replies I decided to get some magnum primers to try with the w748 to shrink my groups some. Unfortunately it didn't help and oddly enough the groups were about the same size. (1.75")
I went ahead and loaded up some with IMR 3031 and the worst group was 1" and I was able to shoot 2 groups that were .800 with charges of 25 and 25.5 grains.
The rifle is fairly light and it's tough to get much better than that and for a mostly plinking load it's more than adequate.
Thanks for everyone's assistance
Now I wonder how it will shoot with H335 ? Lol

I DON'T have Time, to "weigh out" my .223 / 5.56 Ammo, with, "Stick Powders",.. so I use; 25.7 grs of Win 748 THROWN @ Mag length with, 55 and 60 gr. NBT's and, 65 grain, Sierra Game Kings.
All 3 bullets, easily shoot, Sub MOA ( Repeatedly ) out of my 16" Adams arms, 1-7 twist, Piston,.. "Repeater".
Plenty GOOD enough for, Varmints up to, small Deer with, the 65 GK's.
This is a Remington 700 so it's not really a high volume shooter. I'm hoping to get a AR next year and at that time I will revisit the W748 for easier metering.

Now I wonder how it will shoot with H335 ? Lol
A little update. I don't have any H335 so decided to try the IMR 4198 that I have.
IMR 3031 shot respectively but I think I have my new load with the 4198. I don't care for the fill rate and didn't bring the chronograph (this load is probably pretty slow) but the groups were excellent.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions
3 shots @ 100 yards

Attachments

• CAC8A67B-0FDB-4FDE-9CA1-CF309AE73861.jpeg
    CAC8A67B-0FDB-4FDE-9CA1-CF309AE73861.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 24