W748 in the 223 Remington

I used 27 gr. of 748 behind 50 gr. BT. In a custom barreled 700 .223. Can't remember the velocity as it wasn't real fast. However, it shot a group in 1's and when the barrel was fairly new 1/4" was not uncommon. Like others have said, it is temperature sensitive which I didn't care for.

John

Just getting finished up at the range this morning and figured I'd update on my findings. My findings are that my rifle doesn't like W748. I loaded up to 28.5 grains which is .5 above my Speer manual max for the 55 grain bullets and never pressured out but groups were disappointing.
I am going to move on from this powder at this point in time and maybe try it with some different bullets later. Probably going to try a couple others collecting dust on my shelf.
IMR 3031 or IMR 4198
Thanks for your replies and open to suggestions on next choice from the two powders above.

Just getting finished up at the range this morning and figured I'd update on my findings. My findings are that my rifle doesn't like W748. I loaded up to 28.5 grains which is .5 above my Speer manual max for the 55 grain bullets and never pressured out but groups were disappointing.
I am going to move on from this powder at this point in time and maybe try it with some different bullets later. Probably going to try a couple others collecting dust on my shelf.
IMR 3031 or IMR 4198
Thanks for your replies and open to suggestions on next choice from the two powders above.
Just curious but have you tried switching primers ? What primer did you use ?

Sorry for your disappointing mourning shoot. I have been using a powder that some people don't like, but it has always worked for me. Weather it's a 308, 708, 243 and lately 223. CFE223, there I said it.
Hope you have a Great day. 👌
I can give that CFE a try since I do have some. My 7-08 didn't like it but I can give it a go in the 223. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just curious but have you tried switching primers ? What primer did you use ?
I am using CCI br-4. I usually will try a different primer if a combination is showing promise but this wasn't close enough for me to dicker with.
I do have some Winchester SRP that I could load a few of the best grouping powder charge. By the way the best group was at 28 grains and was approximately 1.625 although I didn't measure but didn't see a reason to.

I am using CCI br-4. I usually will try a different primer if a combination is showing promise but this wasn't close enough for me to dicker with.
I do have some Winchester SRP that I could load a few of the best grouping powder charge. By the way the best group was at 28 grains and was approximately 1.625 although I didn't measure but didn't see a reason to.
I did notice the manuals I have were recommending CCI 450 primers is why I was asking. I have not reloaded long enough to know if it makes that much of a difference. And isn't the br-4 about the same as a CCI 450 ?

The br-4 are a standard small rifle (bench rest) and the 450 are a small rifle magnum. @longtubeman mentioned in his post that he uses the 450's with W748. I've got plenty of the br-4 and some of the standard Winchester so I probably won't be going out and buying any small rifle magnum since my other loads with this rifle uses standard primers.
I'm sure I'll get something to work with what I have on hand.

IMR 3031 or IMR 4198
Another very good powder is H335
I don't know if it makes a lot of difference in a bolt gun but all my 5.56 is loaded with #41's and a light crimp

Last edited:

Recent Posts