W748 in the 223 Remington

..it'll shot amazing groups but if your in a temperature changing environment your about to be drivin' insane. . I have one rule, no ball powders ever in anything, bin' there and hain't going back.

I've got some 55 grain Speer bullets on the way and some W748 that I purchased a while back and would like to hear from anyone using this powder in the 223.
I have other powder's on hand but I would prefer to use this up.
The rifle is a Remington 700 and this load will be used primarily for plinking but expect good accuracy.
I have numerous loads for the rifle using other powder and bullets combinations but am interested in results using W748 with similar weight bullets.
So is it worth opening?
I know I haven't used W748 in my 223, but while I've been keeping up on this thread there is one powder that I use a lot with great results that hasn't been mentioned at all. Hodgdon BL-C(2) has been my go to for many years, and i have tried many other brands/powders. Some have fairly decent but over all it has given me the best results with every bullet brand and style that I have run through my rifle.
You have mentioned that you have other powders that you use and have good results with, if this has been one of them then you know weather it works for your rifle or not, I just wanted to throw it into the conversation since it has been a great one for me.
Have a great day, Erik.

Something to consider for 223/5.56 powders, especially in an AR, is bullet weight and barrel length. Light bullets in a gas carbine with powders like 748/BLC2 are going to be slow and dirty.
Most data is for 24" bolts, or 20" AR's, dont be mislead by slight higher velocities with those barrel lengths and those powders, if you have a carbine.
This is where QL is fun to play with, instead of barrel length, I'll plug in the length to the gas port and look at powder burn % and velocity and compare it to burn % and velocity of barrel length.
Is H335 the fastest or cleanest, no, but it is in the top 5 every time.
And I know H335 is one of the most produced and widely available powders. You can almost always find it.

Hodgdon BL-C(2) has been my go to for many years,
Thank you for your suggestion and it'll be on my powder's to try list which seems to keep growing.
Something to consider for 223/5.56 powders, especially in an AR, is bullet weight and barrel length. Light bullets in a gas carbine with powders like 748/BLC2 are going to be slow and dirty.
Most data is for 24" bolts, or 20" AR's, dont be mislead by slight higher velocities with those barrel lengths and those powders, if you have a carbine.
This is where QL is fun to play with, instead of barrel length, I'll plug in the length to the gas port and look at powder burn % and velocity and compare it to burn % and velocity of barrel length.
Is H335 the fastest or cleanest, no, but it is in the top 5 every time.
And I know H335 is one of the most produced and widely available powders. You can almost always find it.
My rifle is a 24" bolt Remington 700 and H335 is on the top of my powders to find & try list.

I know I haven't used W748 in my 223, but while I've been keeping up on this thread there is one powder that I use a lot with great results that hasn't been mentioned at all. Hodgdon BL-C(2) has been my go to for many years, and i have tried many other brands/powders. Some have fairly decent but over all it has given me the best results with every bullet brand and style that I have run through my rifle.
You have mentioned that you have other powders that you use and have good results with, if this has been one of them then you know weather it works for your rifle or not, I just wanted to throw it into the conversation since it has been a great one for me.
Have a great day, Erik.
Isn't blc2, and 748 allegedly the same thing?

Isn't blc2, and 748 allegedly the same thing?
Everything I read says they are, what I didn't know (after a little research) is they are made in the same plant in Florida but come off of two completely different production lines, one for Hodgdon, one for Winchester. Which tells me there chemical make up must be slightly different.
Ones burn rate must be slightly faster than the other, and that we can't just flip flop load data and have to rework a load every time we change powders.