Vx2 good for long range??

So what's a good deal on an American made scope??. Most of the newer/smaller companies I see people listing are Japan , china, or philipine made. Are there no good American made scopes?? I know it's hard but I try to buy American if I can. Just not much made in America anymore

SM, take all the negative comments with the understanding that they are just opinion. I personally think that Zeiss glass is the best out there. Yeah the conquests are 1" tubes but the rapid reticles and turrets are excellent. I own the following scopes and they all fill a niche. And those can and do change as my hunting / shooting style evolves with time. Keep in mind that all are not "long range" applications.

Leupold VX11 - 2
Leupold VX3 LR
Leupold MK 6
Leupold MK 8
Nightforce
Vortex Razor
Vortex HS LR

I have owned Zeiss, Swarovski and Nikon and had no problems with the quality with any of them. Like I said my hunting style changes and so does my equipment and so scopes come and go.

My newest scope is a Vortex HS LR 4-16x44 w/ BDC reticle that I put on my 17 Tac coyote rifle and for the money it is a great scope. I will be trying the new XLR reticle on the 4-16x50 when budget allows it. Santa got carried away this year.

Just figure out how you will, or will want to hunt and then pick the scope that fits that style. For example, for big game I currently use VX3 LR scopes with Holland reticles and Kenton turrets installed. I use the hold and dial method and it works great. I picked the VX3's because of the size and weight first and the glass quality second even though I think the glass is very good. Turrets are repeatable on the LR VX3's also. For tac rifles, with my 308 I use holdover reticle only ( EBR-2B ) and for my 338L dial / turrets - ( NP-R1 ) only. To me there is no one size fits all scope. This is what you will need to figure out for yourself. Good luck and good shooting.

If you like a heavy scope that lacks eye box and a spacious eye relief, and is made in China then Vortex is your scope.

If you like a heavy scope that lacks eye box and a spacious eye relief, and is made in China then Vortex is your scope.
Yep just like leupolds. I wouldnt cry too much about any sub $400 scope and where its made. 95% are ROC products. Vortex makes their low line stuff in ROC just like every one else.
To the OP I wouldnt worry too much about saving the US optics industry you are about 25 yrs too late.
If you didnt have a low budget there are some options but $800 doesnt get you there. Any glass you buy thats got a lot of bang for the buck is gonna be from an emerging producer and not Hank in toledo ohio or Hans in schott germany.

Yeah, cept I can count on the Leupold being lighter, having a better eye relief and eye box.

And they are assembled in America.

Those kotex scopes are crap.

Yeah, cept I can count on the Leupold being lighter, having a better eye relief and eye box.

And they are assembled in America.

Kotex? thats a new one. Cuz thy come in a tampon wrapper? Leup under about $500 are NOT ASSEMBLED in the US according to LEUP anyway.
BTW ya might wanna check what the PRS professionals are using in large amounts. Or just continue making blanket statements about things youve never seen and call it good.

And this is a question. Why would you want a lightweight scope? I guess the optic threads where the evaluator says built like a tank is gonna switch out for trim and svelte? Hmmmm need to call Nightforce.....the TROJAN scope.
Im perty sure the PSTs are built heavy for a reason which evidently wasnt what you were looking for, I hear Countersniper is building a nice new light one for ya.LOL

Let me guess, you bought a Diamondback and expected Razor quality?

I have used and tested many many Vortex Vipers and they all were a very good value. I do agree the eye box on the PST is small on 24X but a little below that and it is pretty good. No, it is not on par with my Nightforces but it was 1/3 the cost.

I have 2 Vortex Vipers on varmint rigs and I think they are great. A real value. I replaced Leupold with these years ago after a run of Leupold failures on my rifles.

It's ok if you don't like them, that is your choice, but your childish posts are proof you are not educated on the topic.

Jeff

Let me guess, you bought a Diamondback and expected Razor quality?

I have used and tested many many Vortex Vipers and they all were a very good value. I do agree the eye box on the PST is small on 24X but a little below that and it is pretty good. No, it is not on par with my Nightforces but it was 1/3 the cost.

I have 2 Vortex Vipers on varmint rigs and I think they are great. A real value. I replaced Leupold with these years ago after a run of Leupold failures on my rifles.

It's ok if you don't like them, that is your choice, but your childish posts are proof you are not educated on the topic.

Jeff

+1, Thanks Broz.

su37 & toddc,
These BS comments do not in any way help those who are needing help. State facts and what works for you and leave it at that. There are other sites for spreading your baseless hate so take it there. Most of us want to keep this site a good place to get good honest feedback and opinions.

Wow. So many contradicting opinions. Makes it all the more confusing. I'll guess I'll just have to find what seems like a good deal on something and try it out. gun)

Wow. So many contradicting opinions. Makes it all the more confusing. I'll guess I'll just have to find what seems like a good deal on something and try it out. gun)

Yeah its getting really hard to figure things out with the number of internet cowboys talking in 6 different directions. There has been a lot of good advice in this thread along with some bs, easy for me to see but hard for someone asking the question.
Since every scope will have a detractor(98% of whom dont really have a clue), and you cant figure out which is which maybe we should go old school.
Drive to a city with lots of stores.
Look at every scope yoou can find outside of the store including reading tests etc./ (optic evaluation tests are all over the web)
Spend a minimum of 1 day on this and try to look at some value glass and some established glass.
Take your pick.
I am guessing your reluctance to buy a non traditional brand is because you havent looked at them. I would definitely get somewhere I could look thru everything or you wont be happy.
I have in the last 6 months looked thru leupold,sightron,vortex,bushnell.swarov,zeiss,leica,minox,IOR,weaver,nikon,nightforce,s&b,shepherd,tasco and probly a few others.
So when I tell you for the $$ you should look into a brand you might want to listen, of course then you get the guy who owns 2 scopes weighing in with his vast experience and you cant figure it out.
Go somewhere you can look at all of these and YOU make the choice since its obviously more important to bash a particular brand than to help you out, which is why I never ask questions on the net I just read oldf posts. Its easier to weed out the chaff.

+1, Thanks Broz.

su37 & toddc,
These BS comments do not in any way help those who are needing help. State facts and what works for you and leave it at that. There are other sites for spreading your baseless hate so take it there. Most of us want to keep this site a good place to get good honest feedback and opinions.

Why do I get lumped in with the kotex guy? Ive been trying to help the OP from the get go and mr kotex shows up. This is why "I saw it on the internet" is such a joke. Lotsa crap floatin in the web. While we are at it theres a lot of utterly ridiculous posts on here that 99% of the time no one calls out. Which is why the OP and many others stay confused. I remember 5 yrs ago this place was pretty tight and now its overrun by a bunch of guys who buy thier ammo and tag the night before opening morning. Amazes me.
I know you cant call these guys with stupid advice out because if the advice is stupid then they might be also. Problem is it seems as if these websites lose their value when you let horrible advice run rampant.
I guess I need to hide somewhere less popular that cant be found by the weekenders.
Things Ive seen onb this site include:
Use a 223 to 600+ yards on HOGS and deer....but it was with a barnes tho!
Use a 110 gr ttsx 308 to break an elks shoulder at 600. HUH?
Leapers are decent scopes. WOW.
And this isnt even getting into the really silly bullet fail threads.

The zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 is a excellent long range scope I have used them for 1000 yard shooting on several rifles , they track extremely well and have exellent glass. The vortex viper pst 6-24x50 is also a excellent long range scope with more adjustment than the zeiss and a 30mm tube. I haved used this scope to for long range shooting. Alot of opinions on here are just that, some guys don't even actually try a scope they read about it and draw a conclusion... For $750-$800 you can get your hands on either scope I mentioned. For for even less a Vortex Viper HS 4-16 is a great scope and I have used those too... Leupold would not be a top pick for me I have personally seen too many issues with tracking and glass quality.

Ok. Well think I made my scope choice. Next thing is for shooting long range would you be better with mils or Moa? 1/4 Moa is a smaller click than 1/10 mil, right? Wouldn't that be more accurate? Just a hair slower maybe. Or am I wrong? I think on my other gun when I switched scopes my 13.5 Moa was 5.6 mil for the same yardage. I think. So that would be 54 clicks vrs 56. If I'm right so nearly the same. Help here would be nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts