vortex? ?

Wow... I respectfully disagree. Though others above might have had issues with their vortex scopes, the one I bought is pure art. The clicks are 100% reliable and repeatable! the glass is excellent for the price, and I would buy one again for the money. I went with a pst ffp 6-24x50 and I couldn't be happier with it, unless it had schmidt and bender tier 1 glass in it.Now to compare it to a $3000 scope is not fair, but I do believe it absolutely holds it's own with scopes in its price range,.. And gives more back in the way of amenities than others offer (beautifully etched and illuminated reticles) etc.

Hey... Each to his own, but I'm of the opinion that vortex did it right with the pst.

The only thing I trust vortex for is making really nice boat anchors. Quality scopes they do not. Every vortex I have ever tried has had problems or some sort of issue and in my experience the viper line is the worst and no where near the quality of a leupold. I have tried just about every line of vortex scope except for their razor line and everyone one of them had to be sent back for not holding zero or not tracking properly. They have all been mounted securely in Burris signature zee rings and mounted on nothing larger than a 6.5-284. I had one viper I sent off three times because of tracking issues and the last time I got it back I threw it in the trash because I couldn't even sell it to someone without having a guilty conscience for selling them a steaming pile of junk. Customer service has been great each and every time I've used it but I would much rather never have to. I've never needed customer service for leupold or sightron or even nikon for that matter. I know sometimes things happen even with the most high quality products but its happened with vortex way to many times for me. I no longer own any vortex scopes and probably never will again.

I find this hard to believe but any one can type on the inter webs these days.(laughing)

I've got a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and have shot several elk with it from 30 yards out to beyond 600. Tracking has proven to be excellent. It is really hard to spot .338 bullet holes in paper at 300 yards, but for a hunting application I certainly do not have any complaints. It has proven to be a very rugged scope. It is also a good weight for a hunting rifle.

We could tear Vortex apart or build them up all day. Is Vortex a great buy for the money? Yes, without a doubt. If I had to buy a mid-low end (excluding HD line)scope Vortex would be the one.

Beware of peoples standards: What is good to me maybe junk to you and etc...

I's very hard for a man to critique something he has worked hard for especialy if it didn't live up to the hype.

When youve waited all year for the very brief time you can steal from whatever other
obligations you have, the last thing you want to be thankfull for is a very good warrenty and excellant customer service. My son bought a 6x24 Vortex 2 years ago
because he couldnt afford a Nightforce. Well 2 years is long enough, it will be gone by next season and replaced with a Nightforce. If you cant afford those KEEP THE LEUPOLD.

The only scope I've ever had a problem with was a Leupold. They fixed it for free. Still like Leupold as a product and a company. Owned maybe 10 different leupolds over the years and 1 was defective out of the gates. Same could have happened with any brand. I love nightforce too but the ATACR is too heavy for a pack weight rifle in my opinion. Vortex strikes a good balance of longe range specific features at a reasonable weight.

I have 4 of the vortex hslr 4-16 scopes on rifles from 223 to 338 norma mag. I have had no issues with any of them. I also have a couple of nightforce. I don't mind hunting with the vortex scopes, they have held their zero and tracked fine.

When youve waited all year for the very brief time you can steal from whatever other
obligations you have, the last thing you want to be thankfull for is a very good warrenty and excellant customer service. My son bought a 6x24 Vortex 2 years ago
because he couldnt afford a Nightforce. Well 2 years is long enough, it will be gone by next season and replaced with a Nightforce. If you cant afford those KEEP THE LEUPOLD.

apple and oranges you are comparing a 1000 scope to a 2000 dollar one. now use the razor gen 1 and you have a fair comparison. use the gen 2 razor the nsx loses till you jump to the beast.

apple and oranges you are comparing a 1000 scope to a 2000 dollar one. now use the razor gen 1 and you have a fair comparison. use the gen 2 razor the nsx loses till you jump to the beast.

I see we have a supporter, that's cool everyone has their preference. I don't see his comments as a comparison in any regard. I see it as the Vortex got them along for the necessary length of time to save for & purchase a better optic.

I've played with a handful of Vortex & still have two in the safe. A 4-16PST that i'd gladly sell tomorrow & a new to me Gen 1 Razor that i'm really liking. I brought in an HS-T for a buddy that I thought was a great purchase for the $$... better than my PST by far.

I've been wanting a Razor for a long time so I finally broke down & bought one. Time will tell if it stays or goes but as of now I'm very happy with it. Will it replace a USO or NXS in my stable? I highly doubt it.

I've had pretty good luck with Leupy glass however, I don't trust the turrets. With the upgrades done to the VX6 I may try one of those.... maybe.

t

I see we have a supporter, that's cool everyone has their preference. I don't see his comments as a comparison in any regard. I see it as the Vortex got them along for the necessary length of time to save for & purchase a better optic.

I've played with a handful of Vortex & still have two in the safe. A 4-16PST that i'd gladly sell tomorrow & a new to me Gen 1 Razor that i'm really liking. I brought in an HS-T for a buddy that I thought was a great purchase for the $$... better than my PST by far.

I've been wanting a Razor for a long time so I finally broke down & bought one. Time will tell if it stays or goes but as of now I'm very happy with it. Will it replace a USO or NXS in my stable? I highly doubt it.

I've had pretty good luck with Leupy glass however, I don't trust the turrets. With the upgrades done to the VX6 I may try one of those.... maybe.

t

fan boy guess i dont think so i use what has worked but get tired of people comparing a pst to a nsx that is just silly. also the glass thing unless you are talking junk is more of a personal and set up thing. i have a spotting scope to resolve small things internals are more of a concern as i have not missed by not being able to see anything. the new tangent theta are really peaking my intrest i want to get behind one of those. compare it to the schmidt and gen 2 razor

fan boy guess i dont think so i use what has worked but get tired of people comparing a pst to a nsx that is just silly. also the glass thing unless you are talking junk is more of a personal and set up thing. i have a spotting scope to resolve small things internals are more of a concern as i have not missed by not being able to see anything. the new tangent theta are really peaking my intrest i want to get behind one of those. compare it to the schmidt and gen 2 razor

Then we will have to agree to disagree. No way i'm shelling out that many greenback for a scope with good internals & crap glass. As you said, preference.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a Tangent Theta, serously. They look very good & if they deliver what is being promised, look out S&B. Then again, I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the MSRP. :D

t

Then we will have to agree to disagree. No way i'm shelling out that many greenback for a scope with good internals & crap glass. As you said, preference.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a Tangent Theta, serously. They look very good & if they deliver what is being promised, look out S&B. Then again, I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the MSRP. :D

t

thats just the thing the scopes with the good guts dont have crap glass. Like on the ior thread great glass but insides are iffy at best. there is no way the human eye can determine what glass is better for the masses it is a personal and set up thing. i would say all the alpha scopes all have good glass at that point it is feature sets that is up to each person to decide what there needs are.

It's better to have great QC than great CS.

CS won't do you any good in the middle of nowhere.

So get a proven scope that has been around, made by people who aren't afraid to show you how they make them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.