vortex? ?

Caleb85

My dad is wanting to upgrade his scope on his heavy 7mm and wants to know what people think about the vortex viper line, he has a leupold vx3 4.5-14×50 and a Bushnell 4200 elite 6-24 and was wanting to use them toward a upgrade. .

While this is a hot subject on here and a few other sites, I think you will find many favorable opinion. I own a Vortex PST 6x24x50 FFP. Love the scope and and would not hesitate to purchase another. Great scope for the money, excellent customer service(if you need it) which i doubt you will. Clear glass, precise, repeatable click adjustments. some will argue if the Vortex is an upgrade to the Leupold. If you are going by price point, I say yes. The rest is up to the nut behind the wheel.
Good luck and enjoy.

I have 2 PSTs. Both 4-16x50. A fleck of the inside coating got stuck on an inside lens and I sent it back to Vortex (they paid all shipping). I sent it on Monday and had it back on Friday. I think they are great scopes and that's the only time I've needed their CS and it was outstanding.

Last edited:
The only thing I trust vortex for is making really nice boat anchors. Quality scopes they do not. Every vortex I have ever tried has had problems or some sort of issue and in my experience the viper line is the worst and no where near the quality of a leupold. I have tried just about every line of vortex scope except for their razor line and everyone one of them had to be sent back for not holding zero or not tracking properly. They have all been mounted securely in Burris signature zee rings and mounted on nothing larger than a 6.5-284. I had one viper I sent off three times because of tracking issues and the last time I got it back I threw it in the trash because I couldn't even sell it to someone without having a guilty conscience for selling them a steaming pile of junk. Customer service has been great each and every time I've used it but I would much rather never have to. I've never needed customer service for leupold or sightron or even nikon for that matter. I know sometimes things happen even with the most high quality products but its happened with vortex way to many times for me. I no longer own any vortex scopes and probably never will again.

I don't YET own a vortex scope but I have several bino's and the quailty is unmatched at double the price point . As for their customer service....Let me just say they have come through for me at such an incredible level they even asked me not to disclose the details. Beyond incredible service. They could call paper towel rolls bino's and I'd still buy them just give them thanks for the pride they take in their service. One experience I can share is , I had an eye cup bust the treads (I'm HARD on gear) I got them back repaired and cleaned 7 DAYS after I SENT them. Had to have turned them around in under 48 hours considering shipping.

Agreed, I think the PST is in a league of its own for the price. Better then many priced much higher.

I respectfully disagree.... I purchased 2 PSTs and had issues with both. One tracked so bad Vortex replaced it for me. It IS in a league of it's own for what they promise but what they actually provide is less (with the PST line)

Vortex has absolutely great customer service and I really like their HD line.

You get what you pay for

We've run everything from the hst to the gen 2 razors never been let down ..only time we have used the customer service is for one we damaged handled with ease and superb customer service. I wouldn't be afraid to run a vortex on anything. You do get what you pay for and the pst is a great scope for the money.

My favorite scope belowthe razor line is the hs xlr 4x16 50
helluva scope for the money

Jordan@406

I own a pst 4-16X50 and i absolutely love it. It tracks 100% perfect and always comes back to zero after im done dialing for longer shots. Very clear scope until it gets on 16 power then things start to get fuzzy but its not bad. Great sope for the money.

Would any one have a used HS/T 6-24x50 they would trade for a leupold 4.5 to 14x50 ? Or the 6-24 x40 bushnell 4200 elite ?:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.