vortex viper windage problem.

mok

i have a new vortex viper hs lr and have been experiencing problems with my windage drifting. what i mean by that is i sighted my rifle in on a relatively calm day with little to no cross winds at 200 yards and zeroed my turret (this is the model that doesnt have the tactical windage turret)... Now a month later after 4 sessions at the range my windage turret is now set 6 moa right off from the origional zero on a calm day. i dont know why my zero has drifted 6 moa right of the origional zero. thanks for your help.

Last edited:
As long as the scope is mechanically sound your problem is probably in the base and or rings.
You didn't mention how the scope is mounted but it sounds like something has shifted or come loose and needs to be re-tourqued.
If you are using Leopold bases and rings that are twist in front and windage rear I would recommend replacing them with either something like Talley one piece rings or any good picatinny rail/ring combination.

I have a HSLR and it is solid. I agree with br45zy and his statement about the mounts. 6 MOA at 200 yards is a lot. I use a Near Mfg rail and Seekins rings. I had my rifle smith bed the rail to the receiver to make things true and that scope has not moved in 4 years with a lot of use.

One thing in your favor Vortex has excellent customer service if the mounts or some other mechanical problem with the rifle is not the cause and the scope has an issue they will fix it with a quick turn around.

I've ran into this problem to many times to count with Vortex and now why I refuse to own one. Some thing has come loose inside the scope and it will need to be replaced.

I bed the rear of all of my one piece rails, if there is a gap after tightening the front screws or not.... I would tend to think that a 6 MOA shift would reveal itself sooner than a month later. I would Rezero it and let it sit for a day or two, and see if it shifts again, or it was a fluke. It may not shift 6 MOA overnight, but I would think it would shift some... Always check the little things first, like the base being loose, the action screws, and... One thing that can throw you off, is the scope shifting in the rings. It doesn't take much rotation of the crosshairs to shift it 6 MOA. You may not see it, but it could have moved. Most of the time, I find loose rings causing problem with my zero. Depending on the rings, it seems some need more than spec to hold a scope...

it wasnt 6 moa i made a mistake typing that it was a difference of 10 clicks or 5 inches or 2.5moa at a distance of 200 yards

I would make sure the reticle is plum...
Remember, .040 shift can shift the point of impact up to 20"+/- at 100 yards..
Since a scope is hardly ever zeroed at its zero the crosshairs is usually below optical center. So.... If the rings are loose and the scope rotates just slightly, it shifts the crosshairs right or left.... If it's extreme you would see a slight elevation shift. Not as much as a horizontal shift, but some...

I've ran into this problem to many times to count with Vortex and now why I refuse to own one. Some thing has come loose inside the scope and it will need to be replaced.

Sort of feel your pain on that as well. My HSLR is about to go back...again. I sent it back the first time because the elevation turret broke and it would simply spin freely in it's housing. They were great and sent me a brand new scope, but I was baffled when the work order mentioned that the "ring marks on the scope tube indicate that the rings were too tight". Which had absolutely nothing to do with the elevation turret. I also torqued the rings to 17-18 in lbs, which I was pretty sure was within their spec. So I mount up the new scope and I notice when I have been shooting it at various distances the parallax adjustment is loose. It is really tight and hard to spin as certain points and then just sort of "skips" a few spots at other points of adjustment. I completely understand that the HSLR isn't really considered an "alpha" type scope, but I was really expecting better quality. The fact they have a good warranty is comforting, but it's far from convenient when you have zero confidence in your equipment.

In regards to the OP's original post, I guess I wouldn't rule out that there is something wrong with the scope internally.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.