Vortex Viper HS-T Question

Idaho5r

Ok guys, I see that Vortex should be shipping their new HS-T 4-16x44 in MOA reticle. Has anyone gotten theirs yet? What are your thoughts, & opinions of them. I'm thinking pretty hard about ordering one for my Rem. 700-300 WM. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks! Idaho 5r

I have one of the MRAD versions, and other than the MOA/MRAD difference, these scopes are identical. For the price, the glass is very good on mine, tracking is predictable and repeatable, and I like the sleek low profile and light weight.

I loaned it to my buddy because my rifle was not ready at the time, his rifle is a T3 Sporter in 6.5X55. He only had a flat base with 0 cant and we needed 13 MRADs to get to 1000 yards but we ran out at just over 10 MRADs so we had to use the subtensions to make it all the way. I was pleased to see the turrets and reticle worked together to give us exactly what we needed. I have seen other more expensive scopes that had turrets and reticles that did not work together or match each other exactly, had to work with that.

Over all I am very pleased with the HS-T and it will be going on the 284 as soon as it shows up this coming week.

I have two, both MRAD reticles. One is on a 7mm and the other on a .300 wm, both Rem 700s. No Elk presented during my hunt, so range experience only.

I'm very pleased with optic clarity and the reticle system. Vortex supplies shims so the dials can be set back to zero after the rifle is sighted in. This allows either dial-ups or holdover, whichever you prefer or the situation requires.

I did my drop table for each in MRADs (as recommended in the manual) and taped to the stocks. Slick! Now if the Elk had only cooperated.

We did have an issue mounting to the .300. Windage after boresight left very little adjustment and my 'smith had to work on the rings. This was just an odd situation, and there was nothing wrong with the scope. The .300 is a custom with Shilen barrel, McMillan stock, built by this 'smith. He says it's unusual, but he's seen it before. The 7mm is a 'stock' Rem 700, no mounting issue.

The ring/base set is a Leupold, fwiw. The ring/base set on the 7mm ia Weaver (I think). Both are two-piece.

At $559 shipped from Optics Planet, either MRAD or MOA, can't beat it with a stick. No hesitation to put one on another rifle if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.