Vortex tracking issue

Joefrazell

Hi all, I've got a vortex viper hslr 4-16x44 mounted on a sendero in .300 win mag. Ive got it zeroed at 100 yards. I shoot about once a week and have never had an issue with my zero shifting after 6 months of use until now.

Went out a week ago and went to shoot at 500 and was way high 1 moa to be exact. Went and set up a 100 yard target and returned to zero and shot a group. 1" high. I zeroed it and thought it was strange but figured it was due to weather or something. Checked all screws on action and scope for fun. Still was shooting tight so didn't think I'd find anything and didn't. I then moved on and shot 500 then 740 and all seemed well and I headed home.

Went out today and shot at 500 and what do you know I'm 1" low! I rezeroed and shot through the day and didn't have any more issues. Anyone having any issues like this with there vortex? My rings are torqued to 17 in/lbs.

I had issues with my hst after several years of use. The elevation was missing adjustments somewhere between 7 Moa and 12 Moa. It was never consistent after I started having problems so I sent it in and had it repaired.

Not had an issue with my 3 Vortexes. Have had a couple other scopes go bad and when they did there were intermittent like yours. Mine though would kinda be all over the place. They would have horizontal and vertical issues.

I would suggest doing the talk target test from the link below. Try a box test too. Document the results and talk to Vortex.

Not had an issue with my 3 Vortexes. Have had a couple other scopes go bad and when they did there were intermittent like yours. Mine though would kinda be all over the place. They would have horizontal and vertical issues.

I would suggest doing the talk target test from the link below. Try a box test too. Document the results and talk to Vortex.

Yeah this is definitely my next step

Maybr your POI was effected on that day by something else? I would start thinking about what you did different original zero vs when it was shooting 1 moa high. Rest, bipod, rear bag, prone vs bench, heavy coat vs t shirt. This could definately cause the change in POI.

The tall target test that Barrelnut suggested is money. Tells you how level your scope is, how it tracks and how true the travel is. You could be adjusting FPS or BC to get your dope right at distance when all along you needed a correction factor for your scope travel. It's a great tool for optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.