Vortex, Swaro or Nightforce ??

mosh338

Hi

I need some advice regarding optics for a 300 WSM Tika Varmint that I recently purchased, my choices are:

1- Swarovsky Z5 5-25x52 BRX ( to target turrets)
2- Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 (MOA)
3- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R2- Although Im a bit reluctant given the additional expense

Im looking at setting up the rifle for long distance hunting and occasional target shooting out to 600 to 800m. The Swarovsky has amazing glass but im a little concerned that it does not have target turrets and only a long range reticle. I have not looked through the vortex but ive read good reviews. The Nightforce is the most expensive and would only consider as last resort is someone can convince me that it definitely is worth the additional expense

Thanks

Bushnell LRHS for about $950 is the best hunting scope available under $1500 in my opinion. There is a 4.5-18 version coming out next year if you want more power but 12X is more than enough for 800m hunting.

On your list I would choose the Nightforce but the new Bushnell is one hell of a scope.

We can set you up with micrometer style turrets for the Swarovski Z5.
Micrometer Style Turret for Swarovski Z5 - BRX/BRH Reticle
Z5 MS Turrets_med.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks that looks really good. Would you be able to ship to South Africa? Do the knobs have a zero stop?

Thanks that looks really good. Would you be able to ship to South Africa? Do the knobs have a zero stop?
Shipping to South Africa is possible. Please send an email to sales @ highpoweroptics.com. Tell them the model number scope you want to buy and your address. They will send you the shipping cost.

The Micrometer Style turrets do not have a zero stop. That's a feature you can get with the BT turret . The BT turret limits elevation to a little less than one full rotation of the knob, however. One of the labels provided with the Micrometer Style turret upgrade gives elevation values for two full rotations.

FYI. I've tested the Z5 turrets and the clicks are spot on at 1/4 IPHY. The Micrometer Style turret upgrade makes the Swarovski scopes very accurate for long range shooting.

bruce_ventura,

I had a chance to compare two of the scopes you are considering. I have a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and got to play with a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 for a few days. The Nightforce regularly allowed me to see more detail on a lower magnification setting and lasted longer in every low light test I came up with.

This Swarovski may not be typical, but it is not reliable for adjustment for either windage or elevation. When I sighted it in I had to move it back and forth just like a cheap scope. Lately I am thinking about a Bushnell or a March or something else.

Thanks

What are your comments on the SHV range of Nightforce scopes. The price tag is between that of the vortex and the Swarovski for the 6.5-20 x 56 non illuminated MOAR. I think this scope might be ideal for what im looking for.

I have a Nightforce on my 300 RUM. Did a hunting trip two weeks ago. One of the guys had one of the new Huskemaw's. Sure looked nice looking through it and the scope itself was better looking than my Nightforce. Not sure on the quality aspect, but the guy swore it was on par with his other high end scopes.

Thanks

What are your comments on the SHV range of Nightforce scopes. The price tag is between that of the vortex and the Swarovski for the 6.5-20 x 56 non illuminated MOAR. I think this scope might be ideal for what im looking for.

I haven't had the chance to work with an SHV as of yet but I will tell you this, I AM ordering one within the next 30 days. The price point of the SHV is too good to pass on, I still have a PST; it works, that's about all I can say about it.

You can also cruise the classifieds for a used NXS. I had the NPR-2 for a while & sold it, I do not like the windage marks in the R-2. The MOAR & NPR-1 are by far better reticles (IMHO).

t

Thanks for the replies

so..........

I went to the gun shop this afternoon and after looking thorough both the scopes the Swaro Z5 and the Nightforce SHV I decided on the Swaro- The weight, clarity and fine mildot reticle were the selling points. I figured that I would use the scope predominantly for hunting and would use the reticle far more than the turrets. With 5.5 mills of elevation I could shoot out to 650m just using the reticle. If I do go to the range and try and shoot out to 1000m dialling in with the current hunting turrets wont be an issue.

Now I cant wait for my rifle

Wait, what's a meter?? People still use Mildots? lol :D

All joking aside, I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Swaro.

t

haha we that live in Africa have to content with meters, mildots and lots of hunting opportunities!! Lifes tough!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.