Vortex scope question

SHV scopes have different glass than the NXS line. I had a shv 4-16x56 for a short time. Great scope for the money, very comparable to my Leupold vx-L's at low light.

I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread so I'll ask here-
For those of you with razor HD rifle scopes, do they get cloudy at high mag in low light?
I use razor HD binos and spotter and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have a viper hs 4-16 on a hunting rig and if I get near max mag in low light I feel like I'm trying to look through a cloud. I like the looks of the new razor lh scopes but I hate that cloudy effect. I have a few conquests I hunt with that have much better glass than the vipers so I'll stick with those for timber hunting if the razors have the same issue. Thanks.

For a scope to be clear in low light it needs a few things. First is good glass with good coatings among other things. Price is a good indicator to tell whether or not the glass and coatings are good in most cases. There is a reason why S&B scopes are so expensive. The second thing needed is proper exit pupil. For example on the Razor 5-20x50 the exit pupil is 2.5mm when set on 20 power. Exit pupil matters most when shooting at twilight. That being said, at 20 power there will be a time in low light situations when the exit pupil is too small. Remedy? Turn magnification down. 50/5= 10mm exit pupil at 5 power. You will not always have a good sight picture at high power in low light.

All of my Vortex HS LR and HS-T's have issues with light scatter in afternoon/evening sun. Another example of getting what you pay for.

Best glass for the money? Leupold. My VX3 8.5-20x50 is as bright as my NXS 5.5-22x50 and my VX6 3-18X44 ( This is not a fair comparison because the resolution is always better in smaller diameter objectives when all other things are equal ) glass is even better. Mark 6 and Mark 8 glass is as good as anyones but once again it is pricy.

I run Viper PST's on all my rigs 6-24x50 except for my K-Hornet runs the 4-16x50 and have no issue's in day light or when out spot lighting. The only thing that I have noticed compared to the Razor is the colour rendition the Razor is a fair bit better.
But compared to my crap Vari III 6.5-20x50 Leupold the PST's are hands down a better scope in my eye's and they hold zero. My Leupy actually ended up in the bin at my local range.

I have a hst 6-24. It starts to get a little blury at 20+. However what I love about it is the positive turrets and repeatabily. You get what you pay for, but I'm happy with it for the class of scope it is.

I have a hst 6-24. It starts to get a little blury at 20+. However what I love about it is the positive turrets and repeatabily. You get what you pay for, but I'm happy with it for the class of scope it is.

Where did this silly "You get what you pay for" quote come from? I purchased four Swarovski z5 5-25X52. You couldn't give me one if I had to use it. When I went to Alaska I put a Tasco World Class 4-16X40 on both the .300 and the .375 because I never had a problem with one. I certainly can't say that about Bushnell, Burris, Leupold and a number of more expensive scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.