Vortex Razor HD - 2014

I think the argument cowboy is trying to make (correct me if Im wrong) is that this scope is more designed for the target shooter, than the hunter. I think it came off wrong when he said "why would anyone need that much travel" (or something to that effect, Im not digging threw pages to get it perfect).

I think the argument cowboy is trying to make (correct me if Im wrong) is that this scope is more designed for the target shooter, than the hunter. I think it came off wrong when he said "why would anyone need that much travel" (or something to that effect, Im not digging threw pages to get it perfect).

its a 40+oz scope.... a tad heavy for "just hunting"..

but my varmit "hunting" gun is 22+ pounds..

its a 40+oz scope.... a tad heavy for "just hunting"..

but my varmit "hunting" gun is 22+ pounds..

Im kind of in the same boat. a 40oz scope wont bother me hunting what so ever, but hunt Indiana where Im not over 1/2 mile from the truck. If I were in the mountains I would have a different opinion.

Sorry Cowboy, didn't mean to twist your words around!

I do all kinds of hunting, from back packing in, to sitting at a table shooting pdogs.... different rifles & different scopes for different types of hunting!

For three years now I carried this 18 lb. favorite of mine 2 miles from camp walking, to my favorite Jack pine and then 43' up what a great view, well anyways for Wisconsin.

Note the Razor shown here is a 5-20x50 with the EBR-3 that has been used and abused since they first came out and still is top notch for work and play sitting on top of a 338LM.
My other 5-20x50 EBR-2 Razor is on my 260 and works as well but not abused as much as this one.
I will have a new 4.5-27x56 in the EBR2-C that will either go on the my 260 or a new build being the 375VM2

I really see no reason to look anywhere else as far as optics.
We ran the Razor up against Nightforce and the Smitty PMIIs and as far as the Smittys which are very good, the general consensus ended being when you look at the work performance between the scopes, that there is not enough difference worth another $1400.00 US dollars.

Shown having fun at Ft. McCoy

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

Attachments

• fort%20mccoy%20fall%20shoot%20ncsa%20(34).jpg
    fort%20mccoy%20fall%20shoot%20ncsa%20(34).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 62
Looks like I will be a guinea pig. I ordered mine (4.5-27x56) through Jaret Owens of Home :: Alaska Guide Creations by Jaret Owens :: Home of the Bino Chest Pack He is a dealer for Vortex, Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss.

I also have bought his bino chest pack and am glad I did.

I bought the bino pack after missing a shot opportunity because my bino's were in my pack and it would have been too much of a PITA to get them out, I did not see the coyote before I walked up on him on my way to another set.

Last edited:
Well to each his own !

Relax, I was just making a joke.

I could care less if the scope "matches" my rifles color scheme.

I am looking at the optical features, you know the things that make it a scope.

Oh well: "to each his own"; LOL (making a joke, by good natured teasing, again).

- Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.