Vortex Fury, The Good The Bad And The Ugly

I have the originals, before the AB software was added. I absolutely love mine. Are they the best glass you've ever looked through? Nope, but they aren't bad. They range true, are easy to use, and will range at the distances advertised. It's the only vortex product I own, (other than maybe some rings), but for the $$, there is no competition.

Yup have had mine since they came out and they range great. I have only had them out to about 1900 yards which is the farthest I could find but friends out west have hit rocks at 3300 yards.

I got the Fury HD 5000 about a couple of years ago. I really like them. Got them so that I didn't have to have a separate range finder. They work very well. I looked through another hunter's Swarovski range finding binoculars last fall in New Mexico. I could not see a drastic improvement with the Swarovski, although I did not spend a lot of time looking with it. I certainly would not say that the Fury is superior to the Swarovski, but for my old eyes at least, it is pretty close. We then ranged various objects from about 500 to over 1500 yards. The Swarovski and the Fury were always within a few yards of each other.
Dennis

I have the originals, before the AB software was added. I absolutely love mine. Are they the best glass you've ever looked through? Nope, but they aren't bad. They range true, are easy to use, and will range at the distances advertised. It's the only vortex product I own, (other than maybe some rings), but for the $$, there is no competition.
☝️x2 for me.. I love mine wouldn't trade

I also have the 5000's can't say anything bad about them at all. I switched from swaros to theses. Of course, early morning and evenings you can tell the difference but not enough for me to carry both the range finder and binos. Well worth the money especially if you can find someone with the vortex discount.

Ranging things the size of a double decker bus definitely demonstrates the LRF's max ability to ping a distance, but it sure isn't very practical. My standard for testing is 1 MOA steel suspended targets at least 20yds away from the backstop. In that standard with full sunlight virtually all commercially available LRF's beneath $5000 stop working effectively past 400-500yds. On 2 MOA steel, that will be extended to 600'ish. It's comical how bad most units are, actually. Based on my experiences I'd estimate a +/- 20yd certainty on a deer or similar animal at 600yds. Most people when attempting to range a deer at 800yds, are actually ranging the dirt behind them... they just don't know it. People greatly over-estimate their LRF's capability, until they get their unit next to an LRF that is truly capable.

It's a simple function of beam divergence, wavelength/power.

The Vortex Fury HD 5000AB is no more or less capable in the range finding department than the swarovski el range. The el range is certainly nicer to look through. Though it has no ballistic capability. Zeiss, Leica, and other units with on board ballistics would be a a better comparison... and they too are much nicer to look through than the vortex. Though none are better than the others regarding raw range finding capability.

To get a LRF that you can actually count on being right on practical target sizes at longer engagement distances, you need to be prepared to spend over $10,000. You would not believe how many of your misses at distance are caused by your LRF.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I bought the new Fury AB last fall to replace my G7BR2 and reduce the number of toys I carry. Bino/FR/Ballistic engine combo in 1 unit is really nice. The firing solutions it gives are right on track with the G7 I've used for years and I haven't killed the original battery yet. I have a tripod mount from my other Vortex bino, and find ranging far targets to be much better from solid support, just like shooting the rifle at far targets.

Definitely recommended. Only big complaint I have is wash out of readings in bright backgrounds, which is common for me in the SoCal desert. But I can take a reading, point the binos at a darker background and see the numbers. My Sig rf has the same problem. Only minor complaint is the eye cup adjustment moves very easily and will move even taking them out of the case. Otherwise I'm very happy with them. I don't have any experience with other ones for comparison.