Vocabulary: "Trued" vs. "Blueprinted"?

I read I a gunsmithing book that the term "blueprinting" came from the fact that blue layout die was used in order to verify perfect cleanup cuts and complete bearing between surfaces.

I work in construction and blueprints just means plans, from that point of view. They were originally done on blue vellum. Fun fact for the day.

Yep, printing those blue vellum brings back some good memories.

Last edited:
In aerospace, a part is "blueprinted" when it meets the drawing requirements, tolerances and all surface finishes, treatments etc... once it leaves the factory, the customer owns it. Once you send it to a good gunsmith, it can be machined, lapped and polished, but may no longer meet the engineering drawing requirements because we have removed material which may have taken it out of tolerance. Not that it hurts performance by tightening up the fit, squaring up to and aligning centerlines: that's truing it, but now may fall out of the original production "blueprint" dimensions/tolerances.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.