VLD or TTSX's for wild pigs. 6.5 Grendel and .260

stanley52

Ok so I my father, brother, and myself are going to do a little hog hunting and have fairly limited experience at it. I will be using either a 6.5 Grendel or a .260. Can anyone advise between reloading with VLD's or TTSX's? Do wild pigs require the controlled expansion/bone penetration that TRSX's would offer, or should we be using VLD's for an extra-large wound channel? I'm open to other suggestions also. Accubonds were another possibility. Thanks.

6.5 Grendel will be a decent pig gun...The VLD's should work good, and so should the Barnes.

I persoanlly would go with the VLD, but in the end it comes down to your decision.

Despite the TV and armchair experts opinion all swine are fairly easy to take down with just decent shot placement. The frontal skull is tough anything else not so much. I have shot several with a 22 mag up to 150 +\- yards. Any decent bullet in those calibers will do the job. What shoots the best in your rifle would be my choice.

Have fun

We shoot a lot of them in florida. Shot placement is key. Either bullet should work fine. I have used the VLDs in a couple of caliber on hogs. They are immpresive.

I hunt them annually with a buddy on a ranch in Calif. He kills a fair amount. I will say that one benefit most attribute to anything TSX like is a blood trail. Pigs don't bleed much as they seem to have their wounds close up. Not saying the TSX doesn't work well, as in Central Calif, all copper bullets are mandated and they kill, but I would go Accubond or VLD first.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.