Vihtavouri N-170 in 7 RUM?

7stw

I am working with a 7 RUM now, and it showing signs of wanting to shoot , but I have some left over N-170 from another project. I am told that it burns like Retumbo. I have tried a few loads that I am sure were safe but I can't seem to get much info on this stuff. I think is a usable powder in this round. Has anybody dabbled with this stuff before in this round? I have used it a .338 Lapua, and 300 ultra mag with heavy bullets. Settled on another powder. Any thoughts? Thanks , 7STW. lightbulb

the only info I was able to find for a 300wm was at their site.not many out their useing it from what I found.I too have found it to be really slow in burn.at least your not like me and have about 5 lbs of it.

for me I would say the bigest bullet is the way to go.

I suggest you call Allen at McWhorter rifles. He and I had a discussion a few weeks ago and he was telling me that with their own testing, though he stated not thorough and scientific, they found the VV powders to be just as temp stable if not more so than the Extreme line.

He was specifically telling me about VV N165, 160, and the 170 and 570 for use in my 7RemMag v. Retumbo or H1000.

I have quite a bit of VV N160 and 165. Those are the only 2 I've ever used. They are the CLEANEST burning powders I've ever tried and I do use them for new rifle break-in loads simply bc they are so clean.

Were it not for the cost of the new jugs, I'd likely start using more of it, but no thanks. I'm going to burn up what I have left for close range hunting, hot loads, break-in, and that's it. I'm not paying $30/pound of that stuff. It's not GOLD for goodness sake.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.